Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1099 food/gas reimbursement tax deductible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1099 food/gas reimbursement tax deductible?

I am primarily W2 but have some 1099 income. I get a flat fee for weekend call but also get reimbursed a standard daily rate for meals and the cost of gas to/fro the hospital from my home town. I don't have to submit any recents, rather, I just get a flat rate for food/gas.

I am trying to figure out if this reimbursement is tax deductible. Essentially, I am just getting $250ish per weekend of call to cover food and gas, but it's not like my check is split. When I get my 1099 at the end of the year for tax purposes, all of the money for call/food/gas is lumped into "medical and healthcare payments."

So, can I deduct my food/gas expenses on my tax return?

Thanks

Yes, you can if all are related to 1099 income and you work far enough away that you have an overnight stay. The food is 50% deductible and you can use the per diem rate or actual costs. Note that in 2021 and 2022, business meals will be 100% deductible, which will be a big benefit to many traveling locums.
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

thank you - and my sympathies to you and your family

Comment

Originally posted by PPD View Post
        thank you - and my sympathies to you and your family
        I really appreciate that, hugs to you and yours.
        Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
        X