Question whether some of these items are tax deductible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question whether some of these items are tax deductible

In May 2020 I started a 1099 locums job, which I've continued until now. Can any/all of these items be deducted?

1. Parking $45 per month
    2. Cost of TB test (done twice, before I started and again in Dec 2020 for the upcoming year) and a urine drug test
    3. CPR training

Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
    In May 2020 I started a 1099 locums job, which I've continued until now. Can any/all of these items be deducted?

1. Parking $45 per month
    2. Cost of TB test (done twice, before I started and again in Dec 2020 for the upcoming year) and a urine drug test
    3. CPR training
    Are all of those necessary for the locums job only? If so I would absolutely expense them.

Comment

That’s pretty sad if you’re paying for all that, even if you do get to write it off. I can’t imagine paying for a drug test or BLS training.
      “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
        That’s pretty sad if you’re paying for all that, even if you do get to write it off. I can’t imagine paying for a drug test or BLS training.
        Yeah that seems like something you could negotiate with the locums company. I did locums in the military and they paid for my DEA and state license fees since I didn’t need those in the military. Better to have someone else pay it than you pay and take a deduction.

Comment

Yea, all of those were required so I'll be deducting these on Schedule C. The TB test and urine drug screen I suppose I could have gotten at my primary care doctor's office, but I have an HSA so I didn't want to pay the full office visit fee as well as the associated lab fees.

And I'm fully 1099 so there was no other way to get CPR training paid for anywhere. The pay rate at this locums gig is good so I'm OK with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post

Are all of those necessary for the locums job only? If so I would absolutely expense them.
            Yes. And I thought there was some limitation on how long I could deduct parking fees for? Like something like only 6 months? But I could be wrong.

Comment

Yes. And I thought there was some limitation on how long I could deduct parking fees for? Like something like only 6 months? But I could be wrong.
              I think the question is are those parking fees necessary/required. If so, I would deduct them in the tax year they were incurred in. Take a look at these publications:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...all-businesses

Comment

From Pub 463:

Parking fees.

Fees you pay to park your car at your place of business are nondeductible commuting expenses. You can, however, deduct business-related parking fees when visiting a customer or client.

Comment

From Pub 463:

Parking fees.

Fees you pay to park your car at your place of business are nondeductible commuting expenses. You can, however, deduct business-related parking fees when visiting a customer or client.
                  Hmm. Many thanks. Seems like the parking fees aren't tax deductible if that's where I park for the day. That's a shame.

Comment

Hmm. Many thanks. Seems like the parking fees aren't tax deductible if that's where I park for the day. That's a shame.
                    Well, would you consider the hospital where you park your client? Or place of business? See regs on this.

Comment

Aren’t locums jobs in areas of need almost by definition? No wonder these jobs are understaffed when they’re nickeling and diming docs for monthly parking. Are they also charging $2 for the morning coffee?
                      “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

From Pub 463:

Parking fees.

This is for commuters. If the locums company requirespistolpete to work at a variety of sites with no fixed location, then parking fees are certainly deductible. Also recommend you consider setting up/deducting a dedicated home office for your administrative and accounting tasks, if applicable and appropriate.
                        Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

This is for commuters. If the locums company requirespistolpete to work at a variety of sites with no fixed location, then parking fees are certainly deductible. Also recommend you consider setting up/deducting a dedicated home office for your administrative and accounting tasks, if applicable and appropriate.
                          Thanks, Ms. Fox. I work at a fixed location. There are several satellite offices but this particular one is downtown and interestingly enough, the only one that charges the docs for parking. No way around it. That's why I thought maybe it would be tax deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                            Aren’t locums jobs in areas of need almost by definition? No wonder these jobs are understaffed when they’re nickeling and diming docs for monthly parking. Are they also charging $2 for the morning coffee?
                            Yea, it's kind of ridiculous. I asked to have the parking covered but the locums company just said "we are paying you a high hourly rate" and said no. I did my research and they do in fact pay the highest hourly rate, so in the end I come out ahead when compared to locums company #2. It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                            X