Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSA overcontributions

Hi all,
    I was trying to search for old posts to see if anybody has had a similar experience regarding HSA overcontributions, and this seemed to be the most relevant, but I still have some questions since the scenarios are slightly different.

I first became eligible for an HSA 7/1/2019. I contributed the full amount of $3500 that year instead of the prorated $1750. Gambling that I would again qualify for an HSA in 2020, I took advantage of the "testing period" in 2019. However, due to unexpected job changes, I ended up with new insurance that does not qualify for an HSA on 7/1/2020. With the employer contribution portion of the HSA, I did end up having some excess in 2020. But since I did not end up having an HSA for all of 2020, that also means that I overcontributed in 2019 since I failed the testing period.
    2019: excess of 1750
    2020: excess of ~650

How do I fix things for the two different years?

I think 2020 is a bit more straightforward since the tax filing deadline hasn't passed yet. I am going to remove my excess contributions and earnings. My understanding is the excess 650 gets counted as taxable income, but is it taxable income for 2020 or 2021? I believe I won't owe the 6% excise tax since I'm removing the excess before tax deadline, but will I owe 20% penalty on any part of that for nonqualified distribution, whether on the excess + earnings or the earnings alone? Are the forms that I need to file 2020 form 5329 for the excess contribution and 2020 form 8889 for non-qualified distribution of the earnings?

What about for 2019? Since that tax filing deadline has already passed, what are my options now? I do not currently qualify for an HSA and don't foresee qualifying again in the near future, so I can't reduce the excess contribution by limiting future contributions. What can I do to prevent having to pay the 6% excise tax year after year? My understanding is that I will owe the 6% for 2019 and for 2020, but I just want to fix things so this doesn't go on indefinitely. Also, what actually gets taxed at that 6% rate? The 1750 excess + earnings? How do I calculate the prorated excess earnings? (The excess earnings for 2020 are being calculated by my HSA bank based on the date I started having excess contributions in 2020, but I don't think they will back-calculate 2019.) Are the forms that I need to file 2020 form 5329 and 2019 form 5329 and amend my 2019 tax return?

Thank you so much!! The more I look at everything the more I'm confusing myself so would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide!

It is not nearly as bad as you think, but you can make it worse.
    • The amount of 2019 ineligible HSA contributions due to a 2020 testing period failure are not excess contributions and should not be returned as such.
    • If returned as excess contributions and earnings, the entire amount is considered as a normal distribution even if the HSA custodian reports it as such.
    • The amount of this distribution exceeding unreimbursed qualified medical expenses would be a non-qualified distribution subject to the 20% penalty.
    • Not to mention, you would still have to properly account for the testing period failure.
    • Since the amount of 2019 ineligible HSA contributions due to a 2020 testing period failure is not an excess contribution. There is no need to file Form 5329 and pay a 6% excise tax.
    • This amount is simply reported on Form 8889 Part III and subject to a 10% additional tax. Both this amount and any associated earnings remain in the plan.
    • This amount, but not any earnings are taxable on your 2020 return.
    It really is very simple. Any tax software should property handle this:
    • Do not contact the HSA custodian. Nothing happens with the HSA account. This is solely between you and the IRS.
    • There is no excess contribution and no excise tax to be reported.
    • The tax software should fill in 2020 Form 8889 Part III, transfer the amount to Schedule 1 Line 8 and the 10% tax to Schedule 2 Line 8c.
    The 2020 ~$650 excess contribution should be treated as any other excess contribution.

See, not so bad and it proably isn't a net 10% additional tax. You received at least a 1.45% FICA tax exemption if the HSA contribution was made by salary reduction.

Comment

Wow spiritrider , thank you for the thorough explanation. This is so incredibly helpful and I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by penj8688 View Post
        Wow spiritrider , thank you for the thorough explanation. This is so incredibly helpful and I really appreciate it!
        You really can’t go wrong withspiritrider (I know you hate for me to say this, SR, so chill, I’m not taking it back )
        Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
        X