W2 and 1099 Income- Self Employment Tax above Threshold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2 and 1099 Income- Self Employment Tax above Threshold

I tried to search the forum to see if this had already been addressed but wasn’t able to find it. I have a W-2 job with income above the Social Security cut off of ~$137,000 this year but was considering moonlighting at a 1099 position. Would that additional 1099 income be subject to employER social security payroll tax or since my W-2 employer had already hit the maximum, would that not be subject to such tax? I know that the employEE element would not be subject to social security tax as I have already contributed the maximum at my W-2 position. Thanks!

It has been addressed, but would be very difficult to find. No, you would not be subject to additional SS tax, only Medicare.
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Thanks Johanna!

Comment

Similar question. I'm W-2 and above the SS cutoff. My wife is 1099. If filing jointly, does my wife also need to meet the SS cutoff independently?

Comment

Others can correct me but SS cutoff is individual based and would need to be met independently by her rather than collectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Future Fire View Post
            Similar question. I'm W-2 and above the SS cutoff. My wife is 1099. If filing jointly, does my wife also need to meet the SS cutoff independently?
            Yes.

Comment

Working...
            X