Finding a good CPA - Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a good CPA - Cost?

I am curious how people found their CPAs. What do you look for in a CPA? Do you ever use CPAs out of state? What do you pay, in general, to have your returns prepared? (it would be helpful to know if you have LLCs, are just a W2, or a mix of both)

I talked to several CPAs and just can't find a good fit. The highly recommended local ones aren't taking new clients. A few seemed way too eager to set up complex tax planning schemes, others wouldn't return calls, and some didn't understand basic concepts like affiliated service groups and solo-401ks (could have gotten me in a lot of trouble if I followed their advice...)

I found a CPA I thought would work and we had a quick phone call to go over some basic tax planning questions, and then I get a big bill in the mail a few weeks later. I have no problem paying people for their time and good advice, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when you don't tell me ahead of time that you are billing me or what you are billing me (the bill doesn't even show what they bill per hour). I can only imagine what they would charge if they did my returns.

It would be great to know how other docs found CPAs they trust and are familiar with the tax situations we have.

did you try the list of tax professionals from this site?

I pay less than $1k but my return is not complex. Same firm that does our business taxes. They're not highly knowledgeable around solo 401ks but that's not a problem bc I know enough to not break the rules and I know where the numbers go on the forms.

solo 401ks and ASG rules are not basic concepts for a CPA

Comment

All CPAs have their own niche and their style (you've unfortunately found out some aren't straightforward with their billing too). It sounds like you're right on track by shopping around to find the right one. For the area it's hard to imagine you'll find a good one for less than $200/hr (possibly quite a bit more, I never looked into their pricing). Just keep trying and asking plenty of questions. I agree that affiliated service groups and solo-401ks are not common enough for the majority of CPAs to routinely handle them; there are just too many clients CPAs only need to provide more basic services to so they often don't get into less common areas. Until recently I was in Seattle and I still work with some clients and other professionals up there. It sounds like you've talked to quite a few CPAs, perhaps at the bigger firms. You can talk to https://huddlestontaxcpas.com/. Although I haven't worked with them, I had a few positive interactions and they're worth investigating. Also, Barbara Carney at https://wernercpa.com/. has been good to work with; I don't know what she bills though.

Comment

and then I get a big bill in the mail a few weeks later. I have no problem paying people for their time and good advice, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when you don't tell me ahead of time that you are billing me or what you are billing me (the bill doesn't even show what they bill per hour).
        ...and lawyers, too. My husband called his lawyer cousin to ask estate questions at the death of my brother in another state. Yup. we were billed.

Comment

Originally posted by jz- View Post

...and lawyers, too. My husband called his lawyer cousin to ask estate questions at the death of my brother in another state. Yup. we were billed.
          I think that would piss me right off.

Comment

Working...
          X