Have you been hit by AMT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you been hit by AMT

Due to the deductions of state income on our federal taxes we have been hit with AMT every year.

How about y'all

Not so far

Comment

I have had some close calls and one year that I recall paying a de minimis penalty but generally have not been subject to AMT.

Comment

Yep -- pretty sure I've paid the AMT every year since my first full year after residency.

Comment

Never paid it. Now I make too much (and pay too much ) to be anywhere near AMT-land.

For the few years when my income was in AMT-land it seemed that most of my deductions were good under either system.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Paid it first year transitioning from fellowship to attending. Now make too much.

Comment

Yes. This year and last year (first full two calendar years as attending) to the tune of around $5,500.

Comment

Please elaborate. I was under the impression all high income earners are subjected to AMT. how does making too much avoid AMT? I am obviously missing something and brief googling is not giving me the right answers. Thanks

Comment

Paid it last two years in full attendinghood, to the tune of between $1500 and $2000.  Scared to death of what it will look like once my mortgage is paid off.
                  I sometimes have trouble reading private messages on the forum. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Comment

Yes. Paid AMT this year and last year. Didn't in 2014, but that's when I graduated from residency.

Comment

Yes, this year was about 1500

Comment

AMT sets a floor on your tax rate, designed to ensure that high earners don't end up paying no taxes due to having lots of deductions. I pay more in taxes than I would under the AMT floor, therefore I am technically not subject to AMT. Hope that explains it.

Comment

AMT (alternative minimum tax) I believe tends to put the minimum around the mid- to high-20s for a ways. Therefore the lower incomes won't hit it.

Once you're in 39.6%, it's going to be very hard to get that many deductions to lower your effective tax rate that far to trigger it.

On the other hand, if you're in 33% or maybe 35%, you're more likely to be in the window to hit it. We'll probably hit it next year since this year we seem to have been just barely below it.

Comment

Yep, I believe I've been hit by the AMT every year that I've worked. Would love to accelerate out of it at some point. Seems like most people that live in a high tax state like I do get hit with AMT (I live in NYC).

Comment

I was really surprised I paid AMT this year - only a few hundred bucks, but still. I live in NY, so high state taxes, this is what I think put me in the AMT category. I don't have mortgage interest to deduct. I'm not a super high earner and maxed 2 x pre-tax retirement accounts too. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X