Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cndpntr
    replied

you can PM if directly if you wish and I can give you my experiences regarding some of the questions you were posing.

That is very generous of you! Thanks @uptoolate!

Leave a comment:

• cndpntr
    replied

It’s a privilege to be part of the WCI 1%.

Looniedoctor.ca is a excellent Canadian physician finance blog. He has links to several other physician finance blogs.

canadian couch potato  and Canadian portfolio manager blogs are both excellent general investing blogs for Canadians.

There is a private Facebook group for Canadian Physician Finance, where you can post questions to other Canadian docs with an interest in personal finance.

Thank you @Neuro-doc! Those resources seem great, I'll spend some time going through them.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied

I too should have figured given how old CPA RB’s post was.

Thank you for the info – I will check that series out.

Do you think this would be an appropriate question to the forum at large?

I think it might be a waste of your time. The resources Neuro-doc has provided sound excellent - recommend you devote some time to getting to know those folks.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied

I too should have figured given how old CPA RB’s post was.

Thank you for the info – I will check that series out.

I think it might be a waste of your time. The resources Neuro-doc has provided sound excellent - recommend you devote some time to getting to know those folks.

Leave a comment:

• Neuro-doc
    replied
    It's a privilege to be part of the WCI 1%.

Looniedoctor.ca is a excellent Canadian physician finance blog. He has links to several other physician finance blogs.

canadian couch potato  and Canadian portfolio manager blogs are both excellent general investing blogs for Canadians.

There is a private Facebook group for Canadian Physician Finance, where you can post questions to other Canadian docs with an interest in personal finance.

Leave a comment:

• uptoolate
    replied
    There aren't many apparently. I am surprised that WCI says only 1% though.  Should be 10% based on population though perhaps the systems are different enough that those that find their way don't stick.  I recommend this site and Bogleheads to students and residents who inquire about such things as I think that the core concepts are similar.  Cndpntr you can PM if directly if you wish and I can give you my experiences regarding some of the questions you were posing.  Not a CPA but have managed to do well though can't say a good deal of it wasn't dumb luck. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• cndpntr
    replied
    I too should have figured given how old CPA RB's post was.

Thank you for the info - I will check that series out.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied

WCI: how many members are practicing canadian physicians?
    Click to expand…

Very few based on site statistics are from Canada. In the 1% range probably.

thanks.

also didnt see this thread was so old. that should have answered my question alone....

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied

Very few based on site statistics are from Canada. In the 1% range probably.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied

Hi!

This is exactly what I signed up for – it seems roughly 30-40% of the advice given on this site is related to taxes and I was hoping to find a Canadian equivalent. As a 4th year medical student, I was hoping to get some general insight into the Canadian tax code re: TFSA’s, professional corporation, RRSP, RESPs, etc. As both my wife and I are 4th year medical students, I assume we will have a complicated tax arrangement and I don’t think it would be wise for me to handle it myself.

All that to say:

1. Do you know of a blog, website, book, etc, that could provide insight into professional finance and tax advice from a Canadian perspective?

2. Generally, could you provide some context on professional incorporation and the use of the various tax savings modalities (TFSA, RRSP, RESP, others?)?

3. Are there common mistakes you see professionals making with regard to their taxes?

All the best,

Fingers crossed that you'll get a response. We haven't had any interaction from CPA RB since the day he first appeared on Valentine's 2017 and, unfortunately, he didn't leave his contact information. Another resource you might look into is the series of books by Brian Wruk on cross-border taxation, such as The Canadian in America and The American in Canada.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cndpntr
    replied
    Hi!

This is exactly what I signed up for - it seems roughly 30-40% of the advice given on this site is related to taxes and I was hoping to find a Canadian equivalent. As a 4th year medical student, I was hoping to get some general insight into the Canadian tax code re: TFSA's, professional corporation, RRSP, RESPs, etc. As both my wife and I are 4th year medical students, I assume we will have a complicated tax arrangement and I don't think it would be wise for me to handle it myself.

All that to say:

1. Do you know of a blog, website, book, etc, that could provide insight into professional finance and tax advice from a Canadian perspective?

2. Generally, could you provide some context on professional incorporation and the use of the various tax savings modalities (TFSA, RRSP, RESP, others?)?

3. Are there common mistakes you see professionals making with regard to their taxes?

All the best,

Leave a comment:

• CPA RB
    replied
    Haha - I'll have to look into the Moose deduction.

And you can claim up to $500 per child as a fitness tax credit for hockey (and any other eligible fitness program). However the 2016 tax year is the LAST year this will be available as it's been cancelled for 2017 onward.

Leave a comment:

• DMFA
    replied
    Sounds like you guys should talk taxes over some Tim Horton's.

Is it true that you get a tax deduction for each moose you kill, and that you can only claim child exemptions if they play hockey?

Leave a comment:

• CPA RB
    replied
    I'd love to!

I'll message you directly.

CPA RB

Leave a comment:

Working...
X