Tax Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Software

For those of you who do your own taxes, which tax software do you use/recommend? Turbo tax seems like the best but also the most expensive.

I have used a CPA the past few years but want to do my taxes myself this year.  All of my income is 1099 and I plan to itemize deductions and I have a home office.

Thanks!

I get H&R Block TaxCut Premium free through the military. Works great, includes Schedule C, auto-fills form 8606, and some more great features. I probably wouldn't pay $60 for it, though.

I have some friends using Credit Karma this year. I'm waiting for them to tell me how it went.

Comment

I do okay with Free Tax USA, but I am just a W2 employee.  I don't pay the ~$12 for the state return and usually just do that on paper.
      I sometimes have trouble reading private messages on the forum. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Comment

I normally use H&R Block, but this year have decided to do them all myself on paper.

I'm also one of those guys that companies like HRB & TT dislike because I kinda went through it all with them online to see what kind of numbers they were getting.  For my taxes, I'd rather not pay $100+ to file federal and 2 state returns.  Plus, I've learned a lot about how to reduce my tax burden by doing them on paper.

Comment

For those of you who do your own taxes, which tax software do you use/recommend? Turbo tax seems like the best but also the most expensive.

I have used a CPA the past few years but want to do my taxes myself this year.  All of my income is 1099 and I plan to itemize deductions and I have a home office.

Thanks!

I'm an H&R Block guy now, although I used to use Turbotax.  Turbotax is just so expensive if you want support for your investments.  H&R block gets the job done for much less.

A trick I use is to follow the Turbotax or H&R Block software on camelcamelcamel.com and set a price alert which will e-mail you when the software goes on sale.  I've been able to save a few bucks this way. Look up last year's version for an idea of what price to set the alert.

Comment

I borrow my mother-in-law's copy of turbotax every year

They only give you one state, so I have to file my state taxes myself, but that usually takes just a few minutes.

Before that I also used turbotax and either paid some small fee or it was free maybe one year with a 1040ez.  One year I used freefillableforms and manually entered in all my stuff, for some reason turbotax couldn't handle a 1099R when I had a distribution from a Roth IRA.

Interested in how Credit Karma works out and if it's truly free as advertised or if you have to slog through a ton of adverts.

Comment

Been using turbotax for years, never had a problem with it. Costco usually has good deals on it.

Comment

The College Investor did a comparison of the different programs offered by several popular software companies.

Comparing Prices of Turbotax, H&R Block, and TaxAct.

Comment

I was looking into this, haven't done my taxes for a few years.  USAA has 20$ off for members on turbotax, free if you are active.

Comment

Been on TurboTax since 1996. Use it yearly for our own and LLC business. Consist and predictable product. Of course we share with rest of extended family too. ?

Costco is routinely cheapest standalone . Bundle rebates when you upgrade quicken every few years

Comment

Amazon is currently offering H&R block deluxe with state for $18.99. I expect that this will be the lowest price of the season. I put an affiliate link on my blog if you want to support me, but here's the direct link:
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MDO3TEG/

[Update 2/7/17: Deal is gone. Price is now $26.99. You should be able to get a better price than this sometime before April 15.]

Comment

Working...
                      X