Backdoor Roth 8606 Submission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor Roth 8606 Submission

I am out of residency 3 yrs now. I did backdoor Roth's for my wife and I at Vanguard for 2016.

When I file form 8606, do I submit 1 form with both our backdoor Roth Values? Or do I submit 2 separate form 8606s (1 for each of us separately)?

Thx.

I am out of residency 3 yrs now. I did backdoor Roth’s for my wife and I at Vanguard for 2016.

When I file form 8606, do I submit 1 form with both our backdoor Roth Values? Or do I submit 2 separate form 8606s (1 for each of us separately)?

Thx.

As WCI gently reminded me yesterday :-), you will submit a separate form for each spouse. If you both contributed to the non-taxable TIRA and converted in the same calendar year, be sure to fill out both the front and back of the form.
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response.

Comment

As WCI gently reminded me yesterday :-), you will submit a separate form for each spouse. If you both contributed to the non-taxable TIRA and converted in the same calendar year, be sure to fill out both the front and back of the form.

That's surprising. I figured it'd be one if MFJ and two if MFS but not two if MFJ. Mitotic Catastrophe, I assume y'all are MFJ?

Comment

It's just because IRAs are always individual (hence the name.) The nice thing about having them separate (and on separate forms) is if one spouse can't do it due to a pro-rata issue, the other one still can.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
          X