deduct mortgage or rent cost for out of state moonlighting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FCP
    • Jan 2016

deduct mortgage or rent cost for out of state moonlighting?

hello all,

if one were to moonlight at an out of state hospital for one 5 day period per month, would it be possible to deduct rent or mortgage expenses for a dwelling near the moonlighting site as a business expense?

• ACN
    • Jan 2016

I would take the per diem food and housing allotment for each day you are gone and use that as your deduction

Comment

• FCP
      • Jan 2016

clarification: i stay with family (though they are an hour away from this hospital), and would like to buy a place of my own for those 5 days that is close to the hospital. the hospital pays me quite a bit, but no formal housing/food allowance.

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
        • Jan 2016

hello all,

if one were to moonlight at an out of state hospital for one 5 day period per month, would it be possible to deduct rent or mortgage expenses for a dwelling near the moonlighting site as a business expense?

Yes, it is possible to do so.
        My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 to schedule CPA and Financial Planning initial introductions for Fox CPA and Wrenne Financial Planning, my affiliate firm. We charge Flat Fees for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning.

Comment

• FCP
          • Jan 2016

hello all,

Click to expand…

Yes, it is possible to do so.

Thanks!  Do you know if I'd be able to deduct the whole mortgage (lets stay it was $1500/mo), or only a portion of it?

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
            • Jan 2016

Don't see deducting the full mortgage (not "ordinary" and "necessary") as there has to be an element of investment for you to buy a house for 5 days per month. Definitely a convo to have with your CPA and/or CFP.
            My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 to schedule CPA and Financial Planning initial introductions for Fox CPA and Wrenne Financial Planning, my affiliate firm. We charge Flat Fees for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning.

Comment

• Zaphod
              Physician
              • Jan 2016

If the city seems reasonable to the idea, which is frankly changing on a dime lately, and the location is desirable...you could Airbnb it for the rest of the time you are using it.

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
                • Jan 2016

If the city seems reasonable to the idea, which is frankly changing on a dime lately, and the location is desirable…you could Airbnb it for the rest of the time you are using it.

What do you mean?

Comment

• Zaphod
                  Physician
                  • Jan 2016

If the city seems reasonable to the idea, which is frankly changing on a dime lately, and the location is desirable…you could Airbnb it for the rest of the time you are using it.
                  Click to expand…

What do you mean?

If he is only there for 5d/month, he could rent the place out during the other days using a short term rental company. Traditional or like HomeAway, Airbnb, etc....

Cities and counties are constantly cracking down and changing their minds so that isnt a valid reason to buy since it could be pulled out from under you, but its a thought for income generation.

Currently monitoring the hot controversy in the beach town where I want a condo to do this. Hopefully goes my way.

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
                    • Jan 2016

Ok - i thought you were recommending that he use Abnb for his lodging. Thx for clarifying.

Comment

Working...