New computer write off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer write off?

i need a more powerful PC to do my moonlighting telehealth work. I'm not satisfied with the prebuilt desktop solutions from dell, apple, etc.

if I build my own PC by purchasing the components and assembling myself can I deduct the total cost of the PC?

Also, I purchased a large screen monitor a year before I started doing this moonlighting work but now I use only for that. Is it too late to write it off?

Yes, you can deduct the new PC whether it's prebuilt or you build it yourself. Keep in mind this will need to then be a "work only" computer.

You can't deduct the monitor as such. But I suppose you could work around it by having your company (LLC, sole proprietor, etc) purchase the TV from you. That would be deductible.

Side note, are you deducting your home office space? This may or may not be deductible depending on your circumstances.

Comment

i need a more powerful PC to do my moonlighting telehealth work. I’m not satisfied with the prebuilt desktop solutions from dell, apple, etc.

your screen name is correct as i find this humorous....this is demonstrably false.

you might not like your current computer, but i doubt its strength is the issue.

my XPS or MBA from 4-6 years ago can do the work you probably need to do....

now onto your question as someone who builds their own computers:

- first off, what do you want to build? happy to offer suggestions (see my tech thread)

- yes its still deductible. its hardware you bought to do a job. doesnt matter if you put it together yourself, etc.

- i dont know the answer to the monitor question but someone else probably does. my guess is you depreciate it from now on...

Comment

Maybe if you had said that you were doing medical research modeling for the cure for AIDS, Cancer, etc..., but Telehealth, not a chance.

Comment

Remember the tax law changed, and business expenses write-offs aren't nearly as easy to come by anymore in the itemized deduction because its a percentage of gross income.

Comment

I wrote mine off (and my camera), its not like you need a legitimate reason to justify. Only matters if you're using it for that purpose. If you happen to build it to gaming quality specs well thats your choice.

Comment

Remember the tax law changed, and business expenses write-offs aren’t nearly as easy to come by anymore in the itemized deduction because its a percentage of gross income.

link to new tax law?

Comment

If you file a schedule C, it's a business writeoff and not subject to percentage of gross income.

Comment

You can buy pretty powerful pre-built computers.. Like way more power than a normal person would ever need

Comment

for a premium

Comment

so you gonna supply more info?

Comment

yes, more info, and the tech thread should give some insight.

Comment

I bought a laptop from Lenovo about two years ago that I spec’d up a bit and use for radiology, it drives a 32” DICOM calibrated monitor and 24” auxiliary monitor no problem, works with large datasets sometimes for CTAs, MPRs, trauma panscans.

For about 8 years before that I used a Dell tower that I bought refurb and upgraded a little here and there over the years.

At times I wonder if I’d get quicker performance from a big new fancy tower but I’m skeptical that 4x spend may result in 1.1x results.

Comment

curious, what's your "small business?"

Comment

Me?
                              A radiology practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X