No announcement yet.

Timing of refinancing student loans with regard to buying home for first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing of refinancing student loans with regard to buying home for first time

I'm two months away from finishing fellowship. My student loans are fairly minimal and are currently in fellowship deferment. I planned on refinancing during my first year in practice, after the grace periods (6-9 months) are up.

I've come to terms on my first home purchase, but I don't close for another 6 weeks. My question is this: once I take on that new mortgage, how, if at all, will that impact the rate I get for student loan refinancing? In other words, should I forego the rest of the loans' deferment and grace period and refinance now, before I officially have significantly more debt in form of the mortgage?

Tips appreciated. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere -- I didn't see it if so.

I would probably do the mortgage first, then refinance. If you have good credit, it won't matter how you do it. If your credit score or DTI ratio is borderline, it could.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
    X