Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone actually getting public service loan forgiveness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone actually getting public service loan forgiveness?

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/02/pf/college/public-service-student-loan-forgiveness/index.html

Yes
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

Pics or it didn’t happen!

When I get someone willing to talk about it, I'll feature them. Haven't found one of those yet.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I thought someone had done it yet..?  Thought it was linked on WCI somewhere.  Perhaps it was just an application.

Reading the article, it sounds like applications are in but few/none have been approved.  Hm.

Dozens of borrowers have told CNNMoney they believed they were making qualified payments when they weren't -- blaming their loan servicers for providing them with misinformation. Some say they planned their careers around the program, only to learn years later that their loan payments did not qualify.

8O

Also, ~800,000 borrowers have submitted a certification form.  Wow.   That's a lot of loans out there trying to be forgiven...

Comment

Click to expand…

When I get someone willing to talk about it, I’ll feature them. Haven’t found one of those yet.

someone contacted you willing to share this and isn't willing to talk about it even anonymously?

that's kind of weird/atypical isn't it?

Comment

Click to expand…

When I get someone willing to talk about it, I’ll feature them. Haven’t found one of those yet.
              Click to expand…

someone contacted you willing to share this and isn’t willing to talk about it even anonymously?

that’s kind of weird/atypical isn’t it?

It's typical so far, that's why there hasn't been a post on it. Lots of hearsay "I know someone," "I know four docs", "I got PSLF but I'm not a doc and no I don't want to help you with a blog post."

But bear in mind there has only been a few hundred people eligible to get it so far. Who knew about it in 2007? Very few. They just got lucky and happened to have made a bunch of IBR payments starting in 2007 when they learned about PSLF a few years later.

Comment

so no docs yet that you've heard of so far?

Comment

so no docs yet that you’ve heard of so far?

No, I've heard of docs but haven't gotten one to contact me yet.

I'm fascinated by every one's interest in actually knowing a doc personally who has received forgiveness. Are you guys worried that PSLF wouldn't be given to a doc even though she qualified for it or something? Seems a little paranoid.

Comment

No, I've heard of docs but haven't gotten one to contact me yet.

I'm fascinated by every one's interest in actually knowing a doc personally who has received forgiveness. Are you guys worried that PSLF wouldn't be given to a doc even though she qualified for it or something? Seems a little paranoid.

Comment

I don’t think it’s paranoia.  Subsidizing docs with loan forgiveness is going to get scrutiny.  This isn’t going to be around forever.  See a recent WSJ article citing $20B in reduced profits in the government’s student loan program compared to 3 years ago.

Comment

Click to expand…

No, I’ve heard of docs but haven’t gotten one to contact me yet.

I’m fascinated by every one’s interest in actually knowing a doc personally who has received forgiveness. Are you guys worried that PSLF wouldn’t be given to a doc even though she qualified for it or something? Seems a little paranoid.

This seemed to me to be your position on the matter as much as anyone else's, no?

Comment

Click to expand…

No, I’ve heard of docs but haven’t gotten one to contact me yet.

I’m fascinated by every one’s interest in actually knowing a doc personally who has received forgiveness. Are you guys worried that PSLF wouldn’t be given to a doc even though she qualified for it or something? Seems a little paranoid.
                          Click to expand…

This seemed to me to be your position on the matter as much as anyone else’s, no?

No, my position is that people are interested and I can get a lot of pageviews of an article written about it. I'm in the eyeball business here.

Comment

The White Coat Investor

I'll remain skeptical until WCI (or anyone in this forum, really) actually talks directly with a doc who's gotten PSLF. So far all I've seen is a friends-of-friends type thing, where someone knows someone else who has supposedly gotten their loans forgiven. A lot of the details can get misinterpreted in a game of telephone.

Comment

The White Coat Investor 
                              Click to expand…

I’ll remain skeptical until WCI (or anyone in this forum, really) actually talks directly with a doc who’s gotten PSLF. So far all I’ve seen is a friends-of-friends type thing, where someone knows someone else who has supposedly gotten their loans forgiven. A lot of the details can get misinterpreted in a game of telephone.

Skeptical that the first docs have had their loans forgiven, or skeptical of the program in general?

Comment

Working...
                              X