Student Loans News Coming Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Would you be upset if some people got some forgiveness but none of the underlying issues were addressed? I would be.
    Upset? Nah. Disappointed? Sure. I fully agree the underlying issues do need to be addressed, but I never thought they would be in these discussions anyway.

I do directly know some people my age for whom this would truly be a huge gift, though. Like, life changing level stuff.

Comment

Looks like it'll be $10k for single filers under $150k and married filing joint under $300k and will likely be announced in the next few days. I'm on the edge of my sit wondering what the plan will be to curb the actual costs.

Shockingly, it seems the biggest hang up is on how to implement it and be able to confirm eligibility.

Comment

So those who paid off their loans the traditional way are just out of luck? Thanks Joe!

Comment

Wonder if this will just apply to undergraduate loans?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post
            So those who paid off their loans the traditional way are just out of luck? Thanks Joe!
            Not quite. Those who chose a marketable degree with decent earnings potential will continue to have that. (They also will pay taxes to fund the bailouts for the folks who chose dumb majors at lousy schools.)

Comment

Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post
              Hey at least you had two years of no interest. Plenty of people here paid off their loans long ago when there was still interest. We actually put in our last payment towards medical school loans on February 2020, just before they were declared interest free.

Be grateful for what you got (or will get due to your investment in education) rather than focusing on what you won’t get

Comment

Looks like it'll be $10k for single filers under $150k and married filing joint under $300k and will likely be announced in the next few days. I'm on the edge of my sit wondering what the plan will be to curb the actual costs.

Shockingly, it seems the biggest hang up is on how to implement it and be able to confirm eligibility.
                Do you think cutting the interest rate counts as a way to cut costs or no? It would definitely reduce the debt but technically it would still cost just as much, and an obscene amount at that...

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post

Do you think cutting the interest rate counts as a way to cut costs or no? It would definitely reduce the debt but technically it would still cost just as much, and an obscene amount at that...
                  I think you answered your own question.

Comment

Income was last years tax return. I doubt they would be relying on the last certification fiasco.
                    But hey, the government does some silly things.
                    Sure wish they would make a few exceptions. Like I would have no problem defining it very very narrowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Income was last years tax return. I doubt they would be relying on the last certification fiasco.
                      But hey, the government does some silly things.
                      Sure wish they would make a few exceptions. Like I would have no problem defining it very very narrowly.
                      I had read that there was a big issue with using tax returns because some of the people it would help the most didn't file income tax returns.

Comment

I had read that there was a big issue with using tax returns because some of the people it would help the most didn't file income tax returns.
                        YOLO. Might be working for cash during the pandemic. That is why this is needed, COVID. Right? A single person with $150k with no break in income needs a freebie.
                        Apologies for the reaction to the word “most”.

Comment

Im just glad to get what I got- 0% interest for over 2 years. 10k is a drop in the bucket people. The majority on this forum makes that after taxes every 2 weeks. This will no doubt change the lives of many people and paradoxically may end up giving them the motivation to find a well paid job, unburdened by debt. There are a lot of people who are terrible with money and who would just give up and go on the dole over a 10k debt. Let them get a decent job and pump that money into the economy instead of having their wages garnished.

Lot of stuff is unfair about the student loan stuff. For example why should a physician in a private group contracted with a non for profit hospital get no PSLF when a hospital employed physician would get it. Makes no sense. PSLF for physicians should cease to exist. If they wanted to reward physicians, they should increase the medicare reimbursements which have been stagnant and don’t keep up with inflation.

Comment

If it's $10k thats fine. If its not for doctors thats fine. This is a drop in the bucket for doctors and medical school debt. Get a grip guys this is helping people not like you.

Comment

Originally posted by oysterblues View Post
                              Get a grip guys this is helping people not like you.
                              This is also not helping people who don’t have degrees and the ability to get a higher paying job because of their degree.

Comment

this is basically just another form of UBI helicopter money to help out some folks that are really hurt by inflation which is in part a result of all the printing of UBI helicopter money. I cant hate it. We elected these people.

Comment

Working...
                                X