Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSLF Success

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PSLF Success

    About 10.5 years after finishing dental school my wife just had her student loans forgiven last week. Just over 500k including interest. 120 payments plus a few months here and there between jobs as we have moved a few times, always working in the public health sector. We certified along the way every year or so, and absolutely every time when moving jobs to be sure all payments were accounted for. There was a scary moment where 2.5 years of payments just disappeared during a recertification request and we spent another 2 years with back and forth calls/emails/letters etc until they came into the count. Over the last 3 years or so all has been straightforward. The COVID payment suspension with no payments due while still counting towards PSLF has also been a real blessing. Along the way she has also been supported by loan assistance programs through IHS and California State Loan Repayment Program which sometimes took 6 months or so after a job change to get up and running but then more than covered monthly payments. In all I think we financially covered about 1.5 years of monthly payments over the last 10 years.

    It's also fascinating how the universe sometimes aligns to show a clear path forward. My wife has really enjoyed working with the underserved and was agonizing over how to ask for a 4 day a week schedule, perhaps a bit more time for vacation while staying on. 2 days after her loans were forgiven she had an annual performance review with current boss where they were extremely negative out of nowhere. She hasn't had any issues coming up in the last 5 years and is extremely well liked by co workers and hard working, no drama, good numbers etc so was very hard to hear and out of nowhere. We think it could have just been a poor delivery of some attempt at constructive criticism during a balanced performance evaluation, or more likely trying to set her up for a minimal raise this year as the clinic has been having some financial struggles in the dental department. Now free and unwilling to take BS, she resigned and within a week already has 4 new job offers in private practice...joining in on the great resignation movement.

  • #2
    Will you pay taxes on the forgiveness?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sampter View Post
      Will you pay taxes on the forgiveness?
      Public Service Loan Forgiveness isn’t subject to taxation.

      Comment


      • #4
        Congrats on the forgiveness!

        Sad that admin chased her away from an otherwise good and needed position. Appropriate feedback to them on the why you're leaving would be good to their boss.

        Next chapter!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
          Congrats on the forgiveness!

          Sad that admin chased her away from an otherwise good and needed position. Appropriate feedback to them on the why you're leaving would be good to their boss.

          Next chapter!
          Appropriate is the key word here. Sometimes feedback is "disgruntled former employees complaints". Not always appreciated.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Appropriate is the key word here. Sometimes feedback is "disgruntled former employees complaints". Not always appreciated.
            She had whole essay of complaints but ended up just sending in a pleasant 3 line resignation letter. Life is too short for hard feelings and blowing up professional relationships.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hoopoe View Post

              She had whole essay of complaints but ended up just sending in a pleasant 3 line resignation letter. Life is too short for hard feelings and blowing up professional relationships.
              Smart lady. Reminds me of trying to find a way to tell MIL to lose weight, breaking the lawn furniture. Geez. Somethings are better keep to ones self.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Smart lady. Reminds me of trying to find a way to tell MIL to lose weight, breaking the lawn furniture. Geez. Somethings are better keep to ones self.
                Lol not how I pictured your mother in law
                My MIL is always complaining about being fat and then constantly snacking. And commenting on how fat other people are

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hoopoe View Post
                  About 10.5 years after finishing dental school my wife just had her student loans forgiven last week. Just over 500k including interest. 120 payments plus a few months here and there between jobs as we have moved a few times, always working in the public health sector. We certified along the way every year or so, and absolutely every time when moving jobs to be sure all payments were accounted for. There was a scary moment where 2.5 years of payments just disappeared during a recertification request and we spent another 2 years with back and forth calls/emails/letters etc until they came into the count. Over the last 3 years or so all has been straightforward. The COVID payment suspension with no payments due while still counting towards PSLF has also been a real blessing. Along the way she has also been supported by loan assistance programs through IHS and California State Loan Repayment Program which sometimes took 6 months or so after a job change to get up and running but then more than covered monthly payments. In all I think we financially covered about 1.5 years of monthly payments over the last 10 years.

                  It's also fascinating how the universe sometimes aligns to show a clear path forward. My wife has really enjoyed working with the underserved and was agonizing over how to ask for a 4 day a week schedule, perhaps a bit more time for vacation while staying on. 2 days after her loans were forgiven she had an annual performance review with current boss where they were extremely negative out of nowhere. She hasn't had any issues coming up in the last 5 years and is extremely well liked by co workers and hard working, no drama, good numbers etc so was very hard to hear and out of nowhere. We think it could have just been a poor delivery of some attempt at constructive criticism during a balanced performance evaluation, or more likely trying to set her up for a minimal raise this year as the clinic has been having some financial struggles in the dental department. Now free and unwilling to take BS, she resigned and within a week already has 4 new job offers in private practice...joining in on the great resignation movement.
                  Congrats! I can imagine how annoying dealing with the counting issues was if it's anything like dealing with the incompetent loan "servicers" I had to.. I probably would have lost my mind

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Congrats on the loan forgiveness! It's great to hear your success story.

                    Definitely a bummer on the review. But onward and upward.
                    Helping student loan borrowers manage their student loans. StudentLoanAdvice.com. [email protected]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I imagine this is not going to be well received, but who's going pay for all this forgiveness? In the short term, it will just increase the national debt (~$30,000,000,000,000 and I think that's the right number of commas and zeros). IMO, a cap need to be placed on the PLUS program.

                      Congrats to your spouse.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X