X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• icarus8
    replied
    Here's my update:

They also fixed my counts. I got a very long letter as well as an email from a fedloan employee. The counts are all now accurate.

So to echo Jumptothemoon - if you find this thread and are having this problem, fear not, application for pressure and time will get them to fix it. like a diamond.

Leave a comment:

• LIFO
    replied
    These are the kind of shenanigans that pushed me away from PSLF (maybe their primary intent?).  Committing to PSLF is almost as big of a commitment as marriage.  I did not find a willing and trustworthy partner in Uncle Sam/FedLoans.  Ultimately, for me it wasn't an issue as I elected against fellowship and took a much higher paying job outside of a 501c3.  But for those who are committed to it, I tip my hat to you.  It is not an easy road to go down.  I do not have the stomach to watch my loan balance balloon to almost 600k and assume the government is there to help me.

Leave a comment:

• EMscout
    replied
    Sorry this is such a pain in the behind. Unfortunately those commited to PSLF will find no easy partner when the day comes for forgiveness. Get ready to fight. If you prefer to avoid the stress just pay back your loans. PSLF was not created for white coats and the govt will not forgive without a whole lot of red tape and stress.

Leave a comment:

• icarus8
    replied
    To followup with this in case anyone is following along or finds this:

recap: I have a few ferrari's worth of loans, which have been in repayment under IBR since ~Jan 2014, and I should have about 48 qualifying payments, but instead fedloan has me listed anywhere from 21-34 depending on which loan (I somehow have 8 individual loans listed). I have spent 7 months trying to get them to fix the count/figure out why.

I again called fedloan today for an update.

After spending a few more hours with my loan data, I was more prepared with questions.

There seems to be two issues with my loan count:

1. When I consolidated after med school graduation, an IBR application goes with the consolidation. As I also put in a PSLF employer form, all my loans went to fedloan. However, they dont have a record of an income driven repayment plan application for that first 10 months or so. According to them I was just in... no plan. They can verify I was in repayment, but have no bills and no IBR application data (since my income was 0, the no bills thing doesnt mean much). This apparently may have been lost/not entered correctly when they first received my loan. I'm not sure how easy this will be to fix (although its clearly a screw up on their end).

2. There remain several (~12) payments that are in the correct amount, paid in full, right day, that aren't being marked as counting. The rep today seemed to think this is because I made a few lump sum payments towards my loans in the past which put me into "paid ahead" status, and led to nearly a year of payments not counting for unclear reasons. He thinks he can just fix that right now. He stated this was a known issue with the system that counts PSLF qualifying payments on their end.

Still no final answer on this formal review they submitted for me, but todays rep will amend with notes to highlight these issues. After looking closely, it seems that rectifying these two things will bring me to where I should be.

Leave a comment:

• icarus8
    replied
    Great to hear and congratulations on the win! Glad it worked out for you.

I had called about my similar issue after no updates x 4-5 months and they couldnt tell me what happened with the review. (what??)

I did get a very helpful rep on the line when I called (I wish I could somehow make her my personal fedloan contact person, she was great). She took the time to look at the individual loans that were showing up with incorrectly low numbers of PSLF qualifying payments - she can see a large number of IBR payments, in the correct amount, made on time, with a + PSLF-qualifying employment certification during that time, that for some reason arent being counted. She couldnt find any reason why. She was nice enough to resubmit a request for review with as many of these as she could find flagged.

Hopefully this will get me somewhere!

Leave a comment:

• DMFA
    replied
    It's nice to hear they're not completely useless. I hear so many stories of their ineptitude and chicanery, but I attributed it to selection/recall bias because who talks about how great (or even average) their federal loan servicer is?

Leave a comment:

• JumpToTheMoon
    replied
    Update!  At long last, the issue is fixed.  I received a message from FedLoans today to which an updated and corrected PSLF payment document was attached.  Although it took months, I hope this is helpful for any of those out there dealing with a similar issue.  FedLoans took its time, but it got fixed.

Leave a comment:

• JumpToTheMoon
    replied

Still nothing on my end

Leave a comment:

• icarus8
    replied

Figured i'd check in - any updates?

As I submitted this request in August and its now October, and they said 90 days, I sent them an email today.

After looking over my loan details, it does seem that probably at least part of the issue for my end is that they aren't counting a full year's worth of 0 dollar payments - which from everything Ive read should still count.

Frustrating

Leave a comment:

• JumpToTheMoon
    replied
    Nope.  Still waiting  

Leave a comment:

• icarus8
    replied
    Any updates on this?

Mine are still in review (which they claim takes 90+ days)

Leave a comment:

• icarus8
    replied
    Came here with fedloan issues and now that I have an attending job that qualifies, have been getting my loans in better order.

I planned ahead for this and entered IBR about 6 months into residency. I had a year of "0 dollar payments" along with 2 additional years of payments.

Recently went through and certified my employment for the last 3 years (hadn't done so since early on). Got the letter with PSLF qualifying payments. Complete mess. Even though every one of my payments is spread across all my different loans, I had variable numbers of qualifying payments for all of them, all wildly incorrect (They should all be within spitting distance of 36, and some are 19, some are 21, makes no sense).

Tried to call them to get it straightened out. The person told me she would submit a request for a review of my qualifying payments, and that it takes about 120 days (!!!).

Anyways, same issue here. Oh, and they can't calculate my standard monthly payment amount, either.

Complete clowns over at fedloan.

Leave a comment:

• JumpToTheMoon
    replied
    We'll see what happens.  I'd advise everyone to make sure to look closely when your PSLF payments are credited, especially when your loan service provider becomes FedLoan, as apparently, Navient (my old service provider) may have forgot to record or forward PSLF-qualifying payments.  Also, I have no idea why they thought I was in paid ahead status.  I have been using automatic payments with the exception of April, when the remainder of my Navient loans were transferred to FedLoans and I had to make one manual payment until the automatic payment registration process was complete for those loans.

Leave a comment:

• JumpToTheMoon
    replied
    FedLoans Response:
    The School Deferment did end on May 6, 2016, please accept our apologies for the incorrectly provided date.

We have submitted your account for a review to track and apply all previous qualified payments that may not have been added to your current payment count, and to determine if any payment records were not forwarded from a previous servicer. Please be assured you will receive notification once this review is complete.

Leave a comment:

• JumpToTheMoon
    replied
    My response:
    Your records are incorrect.  I was only in school until May 6, 2016 (not 2017 as you stated).  My loans from my undergraduate studies then entered repayment status, and because my income was $0 when I certified my income in May 2016, I made $0 monthly payments until it was time to recertify my income a year later.  However, I did not receive credits for the payments I made after I began my full-time employment around June 20, 2016, and the original message I sent to FedLoans was inquiring about this error.

Also, I should not be in a paid ahead status.  Other than for April 2017, I have been using the automatic payment feature of FedLoans and have not made any extra payments.

I am getting frustrated.  Please fix these issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X