Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55k fed loans left 6% interest - refinance or just pay off asap after pause ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55k fed loans left 6% interest - refinance or just pay off asap after pause ends?

I have about 220k of federal student loans but was able to save up just shy of 170k that I plan on paying before student loan pause ends. That'll leave me with about 50-60k fed loans left. I plan on paying the rest within a year. My fed loan rates are about 6% and looking at the refinance rates it's ?<3%, and doing the math over that time frame it be a $1000-$2000 dollar difference at most. I'm happy to save an extra grand but wondering if that hassle of refinancing would be worthwhile?

Refinancing was always really easy for me. I'd do it.

Comment

Sure, probably not as difficult as you think. It's not like refinancing a mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by hebel View Post
        Sure, probably not as difficult as you think. It's not like refinancing a mortgage.
        I just did a mortgage loan for my first house so was wondering if it's a similar process as refinancing student loans!

Comment

It really isn’t too difficult to do. Just uploading the documents is the time consuming part. And even that is too bad.

Comment

Refinance. Given your numbers it’s probably a higher $/hr rate than moonlighting. And with the added benefit of no taxes needing to be paid or liability

Comment

Refinancing is a very quick process, and with the WCI links you are eligible for a signup bonus (that can add anywhere from $300-$650 on top of the interest savings you get). It says on their page CommonBond still has a 0% 6 month interest rate freeze (which would take you well past the fed government's freeze). You just need to compile a few documents to upload. I feel like it's definitely worth it.

Comment

Refinance! Super easy and nothing like refinancing a house. That extra $1000-2000 can then be used towards something to celebrate!

Comment

Refinancing is easy. Will end up saving you a couple thousand dollars as well.
                  Helping student loan borrowers manage their student loans. StudentLoanAdvice.com. [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                  X