Email - "Your PSLF Payment Count is Going Up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email - "Your PSLF Payment Count is Going Up"

Anyone else get this email? My wife and I both got emails today from studentaid.gov regarding the limited PSLF waiver. Mine included this language:

"Based on our estimates and your records, your Direct Consolidation Loan's payment count for PSLF should go up by at least 7 qualifying payments.
    We based this estimate on your already approved periods of qualifying employment on file.
    Please note: It may take a few months to process this change and for your account to reflect your updated count of PSLF payments."

My wife's said 6 payments.

I can't figure out what payments they would be adding here. I just went over our entire payment history recently. We consolidated to Direct Loans in 1/2012 in intern year (after grace period - at the time didn't think/know about skipping the grace period and paying earlier). Did my last ECF recently in 8/2021. I'll just put details for mine here:

On fedloan, it's currently showing 114 eligible payments, 111 qualifying payments
    Those not qualifying:
    --10/2021 and 9/2021 - will become qualifying when I submit my next employment certification form
    --7/2017 - accurate - I made the payment between fellowship and attending jobs, and thus would not have been working for a qualifying employer at the time of the payment
    --Showing 4 ineligible payments (all for no bill during the payment period):
    --1/2012 - time of direct loan consolidation
    --5/2013 - time of transfer to fedloan servicing. Was a month without payment between servicers.
    --12/2013 - needed forbearance because applied for IBR recertification late
    --1/2018 - forbearance when transitioning IBR to REPAYE

I don't think any of the above count based on what I've read about the limited waiver (https://studentaid.gov/announcements...limited-waiver). Perhaps some of the ineligible payments will now count, even though there wasn't actually any payment? But still, that's not 7 payments. I suppose it could just be all 7 of those payments/non-payments above, but not sure why including those for which I just haven't submitted an ECF yet would be relevant here, and I wasn't at a qualifying employer on the date I paid in 7/2017, so I think that one truly doesn't count.

As they promised, there are no updated details when I login to fedloan or studentaid.gov, so the email is all I have. I would absolutely love to have an extra 7 payments count (would mean I would qualify for forgiveness before even starting to pay again in 2/2022), but I'm skeptical until I see the details.

Any insight that anyone has would be appreciated!

Yes I'm confused as well - mine said 15 payments! My first thought was, are they just tallying up the payments I've made since the last time I certified employment?

Edit: just checked, I do indeed have 15 payments that I have not certified.

Comment

Interesting, thanks. Perhaps the not-yet-certified ones are part of it then (would be 2 of my 7). Still not sure why they'd be giving me credit for those others, but I'll take it. Suppose we'll find out eventually.

Currently, fedloan is saying "On October 6, 2021, the Department of Education announced a limited waiver for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). At this time, we do not have additional details on the eligibility requirements needed to perform reviews." So appears they're not yet in the loop here, either.

Comment

Sounds like a form letter. The algorithm finds payments that haven’t been certified. Form letter.

Believe it when you see it. Potentially a “messaging” to eliminate confusion that turns out to be just that, “messaging” progress that creates more confusion.
        Who would have thought of that? Politicians.

Comment

Very well could be that. If that's it, much better language would have been "may go up by as much as X qualifying payments" rather than "should go up by at least X qualifying payments." Or - just wait to send this email until details were available.

Comment

Originally posted by ID Doc View Post
            Interesting, thanks. Perhaps the not-yet-certified ones are part of it then (would be 2 of my 7). Still not sure why they'd be giving me credit for those others, but I'll take it. Suppose we'll find out eventually.

Currently, fedloan is saying "On October 6, 2021, the Department of Education announced a limited waiver for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). At this time, we do not have additional details on the eligibility requirements needed to perform reviews." So appears they're not yet in the loop here, either.
            While I know better than to be too hopeful, the verbiage of the emails indicates that these could be separate from the payments that are yet to be certified. The email states: "We based this estimate on your already approved periods of qualifying employment on file." I don't think I have quite a good of a handle of my loan accounting as you do since I switched servicer a couple times and honestly didn't even pay much attention until a few a years ago (coincidentally when I left training), but we are in the same boat/same year. Class of 2011 with 10+ years of qualified employment. My email said at least 7 payments also. But my current count is 103. I'm actually not sure why it is so low, I had assumed it was due to the 6 month intern grace period, a couple months between fellowship and starting my job, the multiple automatic forbearance months from changing servicers, switching IBR plans, recalculating IBR etc, similar to you. Or perhaps simply miscounted. I never kept any records of my side going back that far unfortunately. But based on Fedloan accounting it says I had 4 months where I paid the wrong amount or was late. But not sure where the other 3 would be from. So I'm not sure where their number is coming from either.

Either way, just wanted to point out that it could indeed be "real". Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrap View Post

While I know better than to be too hopeful, the verbiage of the emails indicates that these could be separate from the payments that are yet to be certified. The email states: "We based this estimate on your already approved periods of qualifying employment on file." I don't think I have quite a good of a handle of my loan accounting as you do since I switched servicer a couple times and honestly didn't even pay much attention until a few a years ago (coincidentally when I left training), but we are in the same boat/same year. Class of 2011 with 10+ years of qualified employment. My email said at least 7 payments also. But my current count is 103. I'm actually not sure why it is so low, I had assumed it was due to the 6 month intern grace period, a couple months between fellowship and starting my job, the multiple automatic forbearance months from changing servicers, switching IBR plans, recalculating IBR etc, similar to you. Or perhaps simply miscounted. I never kept any records of my side going back that far unfortunately. But based on Fedloan accounting it says I had 4 months where I paid the wrong amount or was late. But not sure where the other 3 would be from. So I'm not sure where their number is coming from either.

Either way, just wanted to point out that it could indeed be "real". Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.
              Agree - I have 18 uncertified payments. Email gave my number as 9 which basically is the number of payments I made prior to consolidating correctly and months of switching plans with $5 payments.

Comment

Working...
              X