No announcement yet.

Pay off student loans vs. 20% down payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I are currently in the same boat.  We’d like to pay down student debt ASAP but it will leave us with little funds for down payment.  Right now I am leaning toward just paying off the student loans first, which should make getting a good rate with a doctor loan even easier.

Same here for my wife & I. Actually had a thread asking the exact same thing back in May: https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/paying-down-loans-vs-saving-for-a-house/

We've decided to continue to aggressively pay down student loans, and will take advantage of the being able to use the physician loan.

Comment

There is a good one in Guin (B&B) has lots of english antiques coming from containers shipped from Europe.  Another one is in Arab, Buddys..Estate sale items.

Comment

My wife and I are currently in the same boat.  We’d like to pay down student debt ASAP but it will leave us with little funds for down payment.  Right now I am leaning toward just paying off the student loans first, which should make getting a good rate with a doctor loan even easier.

The debt to income ratio for us to qualify for our mortgage factored in to this more than interest rate, downpayment, etc. We had to free up enough "monthly expenses" (read pay off or change repayment on loans) to get a satisfactory D:I.

Comment

I know I sound like a broken record on this but always keep in mind that you are about to make a very good decision no matter what you choose!

Comment

Working...
          X