No announcement yet.

struggling with PSLF vs paying it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• struggling with PSLF vs paying it off?

I have been struggling with making a decision about how to go about student loan payments

I have around 270k of federal loans, currently at 0% interest thanks to COVID forbearance.

I am graduating soon from residency and planning to work at a local county position that qualifies for PSLF. So far, I have been able to make 4 years of payment so far for PSLF from my residency.

The dilemma I have is right now, thanks to alot of moonlighting over this year, I currently saved up around 100k after tax in my bank account.

The question I have is...should I use that 100 grand and aggressively pay off my student loans? I could probably finish paying the rest of my loans after a year of working as an attending/contractor work.

OR

Should I use that money and invest it in the market/real estate and go for PSLF (qualifies after 6 more years)? If I go for PSLF, I will pay around 200k and have 70k forgiven with montly payments according to an online calculator.

Thank you so so much in advance

Tough one.

What bothers you more? Having loans hanging over your head for 6 years or knowing you could have had 70k forgiven?

They are both great options.
    I would prob start with putting 100k - Emergency fund into PSLF side fund until I got my financial life squared away for few months and you see what happens with COVID relief and student loans. Currently 0$ payments that count towards PSLF is no brainer.
    Once you see what the plan for future/PSLF is for after September decide between a large PSLF side fund or fast pay down.
    Having a large PSLF side fund always gives you the option to switch into repayment. Refinacing is a forgiveness bridge that is burned...

Comment

if you decide not to pay off the loan (I agree this is a tough decision given the facts) you should try to shield as much of that $100k you can from taxes (this will help keep your PAYE/REPAYE payments low). The way you do that is opening a personal 401k account by Dec 31 of this year and put ~$40k of it in there. Fortunately you can do this for the year after you've made the PSLF/pay off decision

Comment

For me, it would depend on how confident you are that you will keep that job for 6 years. You don’t want to stay in a sucky job because you are tied to pslf.

Comment

If $200K forgiven - go for PSLF

If only a paltry $70K forgiven and you have to stick it ( or suck it) out for 6 years - just pay it off, be free and do whatever you want. Attending or fellowship or move to high paying PP or anything that catches your fancy without having a millstone around your neck.

Comment

Keep the side fund in less risky investments, so it is not a millstone around the neck and you are ready for any potentially better job opportunities that dont provide pslf.
            “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Don't let $$$ drive our job decisions = burnout risk which is much more detrimental to finances than the PSLF/payoff decision directly. If you love your job and see no reason to doubt a 6 year further commit -- stick with PSLF; if you have doubts- pay down and get to broke (0 networth) sooner.

Comment

If you pay for 6 years you'll have way more than 70k forgiven, assuming 6% interest.

PSLF is always right financial decision, all else being equal - i.e. pick job first, student loan repayment plan second.

Comment

If you really want to crunch the numbers. You should look up how much total you would pay if you refinanced and payed off within 1-2 years. This will be over 270k.
                  Compare that number to how much you would pay for PSLF (you said ~200k), it will be more than 70k

Be disciplined and all that money you would have used to pay loans put into the market/retirement accounts and grow your wealth. If PSLF fails or you decide one day its not worth it just pay off loans lump sum.

Comment

Working...
                  X