Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CARES Act: $5250 loan payment for self employed as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARES Act: $5250 loan payment for self employed as well?

It appears the CARES act allows for up to a $5250 contribution from employer to employee for qualified educational loans. Stipulations include: payment must be made by 12/31/20, written plan needs to be in place, can’t favor highly compensated, etc.

My question is: with income earned as an independent contractor, can $5250 be contributed from one’s self (employer) to one’s own qualified loan (employee) under this CARES act provision? If so, how do the above (and more) stipulations apply to a sole proprietor with no other employees? As the benefit is tax free (federal) to the employee and is a deduction to the employer, if possible this could be a nice benefit.

Thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

Originally posted by HenryEdwards View Post
    It appears the CARES act allows for up to a $5250 contribution from employer to employee for qualified educational loans. Stipulations include: payment must be made by 12/31/20, written plan needs to be in place, can’t favor highly compensated, etc.

My question is: with income earned as an independent contractor, can $5250 be contributed from one’s self (employer) to one’s own qualified loan (employee) under this CARES act provision? If so, how do the above (and more) stipulations apply to a sole proprietor with no other employees? As the benefit is tax free (federal) to the employee and is a deduction to the employer, if possible this could be a nice benefit.

Thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
    I remember looking into this earlier. i dont believe this will apply to SP

Comment

The IRS has regs specifically written for owners of businesses taking advantage of employee benefits. Very limited and very specific as to how calculated and allowed. C-corporations don’t have these restrictions but the disadvantages almost alway outweigh any benefits. We have only 2-3 c-corps physician groups and even those would like to find an out.

SO...have not researched but I will go out on a limb and choose NO, not allowed. At least, untilspiritrider provides us with book, chapter, and verse - and his opinion rules.
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

This is a great question and I've thought about this as well and have not found a definitive answer.

Another option to save a little on taxes, which you may be aware of, but you can now use a 529 plan to pay back up to $10k of student loan payments. If your state allows for a 529 tax deduction, you can essentially use the 529 plan as a conduit to get the tax deduction and then reimburse yourself for the loan payments you're already making. Each state has different 529 rules, but it's worth looking into to save a little on taxes.
        Andrew Musbach, CFP® | Co-Founder & Financial Advisor at MD Wealth Management, LLC | Podcast Host - The Physician's Guide to Financial Wellness

Comment

I'm seeing many online sources saying that sole proprietorships do qualify for this. Thoughts? Anyone found anything more definitive?

https://www.lockton.com/Resource_/Pa...mbursement.pdf
          https://www.savingforcollege.com/art...-programs-lrap

Comment

Originally posted by mw8mw8 View Post
            I'm seeing many online sources saying that sole proprietorships do qualify for this. Thoughts? Anyone found anything more definitive?

https://www.lockton.com/Resource_/Pa...mbursement.pdf
            https://www.savingforcollege.com/art...-programs-lrap
            I’m pretty sure the answer is still no. These are not really ‘sources’. I have yet to see anything from IRS guidance or any other reasonably authoritative source (ie, TurboTax generally does a great job breaking things down) that would suggest SP can take advantage of this. However I hope I’m wrong.

Comment

Regardless, this ended at 12/31/20 (unless extended) and is a moot point. I stand by my earlier opinion until someone can show me the IRS provision allowing it.
              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
                Regardless, this ended at 12/31/20 (unless extended) and is a moot point. I stand by my earlier opinion until someone can show me the IRS provision allowing it.
                I believe the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 extends through 2025. Having said that, anyone know the treatment for S Corps?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Estavillo View Post

I believe the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 extends through 2025. Having said that, anyone know the treatment for S Corps?
                  Thank you, Sergio Estavillo! I would presume the 2% shareholder rule would...rule in this case. Feel free to show me a code section that permits it, though, and we’ll all learn!

Comment

Working...
                  X