Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax Filing in relation to REPAYE/PAYE and PSLF? File JOINT or SEPARATE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Filing in relation to REPAYE/PAYE and PSLF? File JOINT or SEPARATE?

First time poster (HOUSTON, TX)
    The stats and background.
    Just married in Dec 2019 and trying to figure out what's the best way to file taxes for 2019: JOINT v SEPARATE?
    My wife - Minimally Invasive GYN Surg Fellow - 70k/y with approx $300k debt, trying to do PSLF, paying the minimums currently
    Me - academic ER doc, making attending ER doc salary $250k+/y with minimal loans, actively paying them off

Does it make more sense to file JOINT or SEPARATE for taxes given our disparate incomes, tax burden, and loans status?
    Will us filing jointly increase her minimum payments because it will include my income with hers?
    What makes more sense mathematically over the long term?

Thanks!

You could have the best of both worlds. Do married filing separately then addend to jointly a year later. Some people might not like this but there are student loan advisors recommending this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekanive23 View Post
      You could have the best of both worlds. Do married filing separately then addend to jointly a year later. Some people might not like this but there are student loan advisors recommending this.
      Similar to last time this was suggested, I don’t believe that’s the best answer here either. They are in a community property state so they can file equal income levels separately and not worry about any of the issues your suggestion brings up. Filing amended returns isn’t a blanket response that should be recommended to everyone who poses this type of question.

Comment

Working...
      X