how to handle discrepancy in overfunded 401k refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to handle discrepancy in overfunded 401k refund

I have a primary job with a 403b that I contribute maximally. I started a moonlighting gig in 2018 where unbeknownst to me they auto enroll you in their 401k. I noticed the contribution in my first paycheck and immediately stopped. $42 dollars was contributed. I reached out the financial institution for a refund of over contribution. They sent me a check for $25.75. They subtracted the annual account fees which lead to the discrepancy.

I was reading in Turbo tax and there is a mechanism to report over contribution as taxable income: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4448631-how-do-i-report-the-refund-that-i-received-after-over-funding-my-401k

Is this going to raise a red flag if the refund is less the contribution?

Is this going to raise a red flag if the refund is less the contribution?

probably not as youll still be credited the income on your W2.

Comment

No. Since they refunded in the same year, there w/b no 1099R and, as @peds said, it will be added to your W2. Curious as to whether they add the $42 or the amount they gave you. That was really tacky to take out the annual fee, but I would imagine their argument would be that you didn't read the fine print. Fortunately, not a lot of $.
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
      X