Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxable accounts. Never owned one,...what funds should I buy to be tax-smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxable accounts. Never owned one,...what funds should I buy to be tax-smart?

We've maxed out our Roth and 401k contributions for the year and I'd still like to put about 15K away for retirement. Suggestions for taxable accounts?

Background: I own a small business, so I was able to set up the business 401k with index fund options the way I chose. I can easily re-balance or alter contribution percentages between the 5 low-cost index funds I've chosen.

Currently

401k = 75% stock index funds and 25% bonds

Roth = 100% stock index funds (VTSAX)

Total retirement = $125K

So, we've maxed out our 401k and Roth buckets for the year. What would you do with 15k and a brokerage account? More VTSAX or Tax-exempt muni bonds?

If so, can  you explain the tax consequences or either? Like I mentioned above, if one is better than the other in a taxable account...I have the ability to balance my portfolio back to target by altering my 401k percentages.

I guess it comes down to I don't really get the world of taxable brokerage accounts and am nervous about making a tax mistake. Any insight? Thanks

More info needed:

Asset allocation as per your IPS

Combined federal and state tax marginal tax bracket.  Are you also subject to the NIIT?

Comment

I believe your portfolio should be made up of an appropriately-diversified, well-balanced equity fund portfolio, regardless of the tax status of the account. Many on this forum differ and you are sure to get some interesting opinions.

Regarding:

I guess it comes down to I don’t really get the world of taxable brokerage accounts and am nervous about making a tax mistake. Any insight?

You are simply investing for the long term, whether within or without a tax-blessed investment vehicle. Saving for the future is about a plan and how much, not whether you get a deduction for it. This post, 11 reasons you need a taxable investment account, may be helpful.
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

If for retirement yes buy total US or INTL. Increase your FI in the 401k to compensate.
        Add munis once your 401k is all bonds.
        Repeat monthly with cash flow

Comment

I would not add Munis yet.  Vtsax is fine.  You will pay tax on the dividend.  It will not be much in the near future.

Comment

I'd put some in the VG total international stock fund.....owning that may force you to pay taxes to foreign governments but you can get $300 back at tax time via the foreign tax credit

Comment

it depends on how you want to use that money - i keep part of it liquid (like a hi interest checking/savings account or maybe saving for downpayment) with tax exempt funds and part of it long term in etf indices (for retirement, TLH).  Right now, I think treasuries and hi interest savings accounts are good and should be considered before going into taxable.
              It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy, I'll get a saw.

Comment

Working...
              X