Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backdoor Roth IRA, contribution over limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor Roth IRA, contribution over limit?

Hi. I know backdoor Roths have been covered in some depth on the Blog, but I had a particular issue with the backdoor Roth IRA. I had opened a traditional IRA with Vanguard using $5500 with the plan to convert it all to a backdoor Roth. During the conversion process, I noticed that the $5500 I moved out from the money market in the traditional IRA became $5504.98 in the Roth account. Will this be an issue since the annual limit for Roth contributions is $5500? Do I have to withdraw the $4.98 from the Roth IRA?

Thanks for your help.

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/pennies-and-the-backdoor-roth-ira/

Comment

You'll owe taxes on $5.

I *think* you *might* survive this one.

Comment

Hi. I know backdoor Roths have been covered in some depth on the Blog, but I had a particular issue with the backdoor Roth IRA. I had opened a traditional IRA with Vanguard using $5500 with the plan to convert it all to a backdoor Roth. During the conversion process, I noticed that the $5500 I moved out from the money market in the traditional IRA became $5504.98 in the Roth account. Will this be an issue since the annual limit for Roth contributions is $5500? Do I have to withdraw the $4.98 from the Roth IRA?

Thanks for your help.

no. make sure you convert 100% of it, dont leave anything behind.

you will pay tax on 4.98 since the 5500 is already nondeductible.

in the 24% bracket, that is 1.19 added to your taxes.

since the IRS rounds, its $1.

repeat next year.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it as this is the first year I have tried to do the back door Roth.

As a quick follow up, do I need to withdraw the extra ~ $5 over the $5500 that is in the Roth and then just pay tax/penalty on it as a early withdrawal? Or do I just pay taxes on it when I file in the spring? The original contribution to the traditional IRA was after tax which was then converted.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

One of my favorite posts from WCI.  Seeing the 8606 worked out and explained was very helpful.

Comment

You just convert the $5 along with the other $5500 and pay taxes when you file. Don't withdraw it.

Comment

Working...
              X