No announcement yet.

Retirement Millionaire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2 ways I now track my dollars are total net worth (which includes lowball property estimates on homes, two 529 accounts, and a small stake in a microbrewery
    Click to expand…

I am intrigued by the microbrewery investment, and, in the context of this thread, how you value it. I personally would leave it off the net worth spreadsheet as I do with my small stake in some imaging centers, conservatively valued at $60,000. If I am able to recap it later, great–if not, it has not influenced my plan.
    Click to expand…

It’s a lot of fun, although it was more fun when I lived nearby. I invested as a 4% shareholder in the town where I lived and had a “permanent” anesthesiologist position. The hospital went bankrupt, and we moved a couple states away, but we still have a small second home there where we spend time in the summer and on holidays (it’s close to my wife’s family).  When I’m there, I get to walk around like I own the place, chat up the brewmaster, drink free beer, and occasionally pour a beer for a paying customer.

As far as the valuation, I just put it on the spreadsheet as the amount that I have invested. I am told that we will be seeing our first dividend check next month after five years and a number of “cash calls” for additional money to purchase needed equipment. It does seem that the brewery has turned the corner, and can expect to be profitable for the foreseeable future. If it all goes away, it’s only ~ 1.3% of my portfolio and shrinking as a percentage (as the portfolio grows).

Cheers!

-PoF

Sounds more like a hobby, than an investment, and there is nothing wrong with that. I wish I had an opportunity like this!

Cheers (and Beers)!

Comment

Impressive stuff here....very motivating!

Comment

That is really neat.  A buddy co-owns a distillery...although it sounds like a lot of fun to those of us on the outside, I get a sense he'd rather be a silent partner at 4%!

Comment

That is really neat.  A buddy co-owns a distillery…although it sounds like a lot of fun to those of us on the outside, I get a sense he’d rather be a silent partner at 4%!

Yeah, I hear that. The main co-owners who each own 30% of our brewery are retired, but they bought themselves darn-near full-time jobs!

Comment

Working...
          X