Roth IRA Contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roth IRA Contributions

Hello! I am new to the forum. I have been thinking about my retirement investing of late and wondering if I need to change things up. I am finishing a DIY postbacc with the hopes of applying to medial school in 2019. I am completely debt free and have followed the Dave Ramsey lifestyle for many years. I am currently contributing to a Roth IRA, but not as much as I could. My savings has been directed more heavily to cash in a savings account for living expenses during medical school (if I can get there). I have about $40K set aside in that cash account. However, I have been wondering if I am missing the opportunity of a longer return on retirement investments? My thinking is that my contributions to my retirement accounts will likely be put on hold while in medical school so perhaps I should invest more heavily now with that anticipated break in contributions? Curious what you all think?

Either one. 40k is great but won't weather med school.

Comment

Personally would use it to limit debt in medical school. When I graduated in 2012 my rates were 6.8% which you are by no means guaraunteed to get in the market. Would have to check to see what current rates are now on grad student loans

Comment

Either one. 40k is great but won’t weather med school.

Oh I know the savings won't make it all the way through med school. I am just trying to limit debt amount as much as I can. I am in Texas so I will apply to all the state schools I can. Not having interest and repayment on $40+K will help a lot in the end.

I was just considering whether if the longer return on a IRA contributions would outweigh the loan and interest repayment.

Comment

Personally would use it to limit debt in medical school. When I graduated in 2012 my rates were 6.8% which you are by no means guaraunteed to get in the market. Would have to check to see what current rates are now on grad student loans

That was my gut feeling as well. I was reviewing mutual funds and and shifting around some of my investing the other day and it got me wondering if returns on a longer investment period outweighed a higher school loan debit amount.

Comment

Working...
          X