Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied

So my contributions to the solo 401k would be as an employer not an employee? And all total, both 401k’s can’t exceed 53k?

Yes, your contributions to the solo w/b as an employer. You can contribute up to $55k as a profit-sharing contribution (limited to 20% of net income according to the formula provided above by @dmfa. So hypothetically, your 2 401k's could receive a total of $110k for 2018.

Leave a comment:

• FlermoenMD
    replied
    So my contributions to the solo 401k would be as an employer not an employee? And all total, both 401k's can't exceed 53k?

Leave a comment:

• DMFA
    replied
    Short answer: yes you can.

Long answer: your limit is net business earnings (income minus expenses, Schedule C line 31) minus half of self-employment tax (Schedule SE, long form, line 13), divided by 5 (i.e. 20%). Also, it's too late for a new 401(k) to be opened for 2017, so just do a SEP-IRA for 2017, start a 401(k) for 2018, and rollover the SEP into the 401(k) sometime in 2018 (wouldn't affect backdoor Roth).

More info: https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/multiple-401k-rules/

Leave a comment:

• FlermoenMD
    started a topic solo 401k

solo 401k

I know this topic has been covered a few times but I feel like I am not grasping it fully yet. I fully fund my 401k though work (18K) with 50% employer match. I also do locums and have about $60K in 1099 income. Because I fully fund my 401k through work, does this preclude me from opening a solo 401k? Or, because I am my own employer on the locums side of my income, am I still able to open a solo 401k and contribute up to 20% of my 1099 salary?
Working...
X