Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to allocate bonds - Roth 401(k) or traditional 401(k)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to allocate bonds - Roth 401(k) or traditional 401(k)?

Hi all -

Would love your input on this one.

I have a 401(k) with both pre-tax dollars as well as Roth dollars (from in-plan Roth rollovers of after-tax contributions).  I also have many years of compounding ahead of me.  I've realized that I need to rebalance and move some money out of stocks and into bonds.

My question: should I preferentially hold my bonds in my pre-tax 401(k) bucket and hold my stocks in the Roth 401(k) bucket?

Since I'll eventually have to pay taxes on gains from the pre-tax 401(k) bucket, but not the Roth (401)k bucket, I'm thinking that I should put the investments with the smallest potential upside (bonds) into the pre-tax 401(k) and investments with the highest potential upside (stocks) in the Roth 401(k). Thoughts?  Poke a hole in my reasoning please!

Many thanks

should you be using a r401k?

Comment

I like your idea. I also prefer stuffing Roth accounts with equities for that very reason. As long as you can manage your asset allocation between your various accounts you should be fine.

Comment

Your reasoning is sound.  I also put all of my most aggressive investments in Roth (and HSA) accounts.

Comment

Thanks everybody - just made the switch in Vanguard.   Appreciate your help

Comment

Working...
          X