Backdoor Roth annoying tax issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor Roth annoying tax issue

Somehow when I converted my traditional IRA to the Roth, $1.76 of interest got transferred with my $5500. My wife's had $1 with it.  I'm assuming this interest accrued while waiting for the funds to become available for transfer?  Anyway, Turbotax is telling me I need to withdraw $2 and $1 in order to avoid penalty.  How do I do this?  Do I just withdraw $2 from my Roth?  Or is there some sort of special form I have to fill out for tax purposes?

I'm not sure how to avoid this in the future because I don't know how it happened in the first place.  My traditional IRA account balance was zero at the time of my initial contribution and it didn't show the $1.76 when I converted it to a Roth.

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/pennies-and-the-backdoor-roth-ira/

You don't need to withdraw anything, but you're going to owe tax on $3.

You might not be filling out Turbotax right. The only limit is on your contribution, not your conversion.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

You contributed $5,500 (lines 1,3,5) and converted $5,502 (lines 8 & 9). $5,500 ÷ $5,502 = 0.9996, which still rounds to 1.000 on line 10 (line 5 ÷ line 9) on form 8606, which means still nothing should be taxable ($5,502 on line 11). This means that both lines 16 (8) and 17 (11) are $5,502 and thus line 18 (line 16 minus line 17), the taxable amount of Roth conversion, is $0.

The proportion in line 10 rounded to three decimal places creates a rounding error that gives you up to $2 growth for a free conversion.

...even if it were more than that, you'd be adding a single-digit amount to your taxable income. No big deal. TurboTax should be able to figure out form 8606.

Comment

Working...
      X