Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max Limit for 401K and SEP IRA combined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Limit for 401K and SEP IRA combined?

I have a 401K plan as an employee and maxed at 18K.  I also do 1099 work and contribute to a SEP IRA which has a max of up to 54K (based on 25%of pay).  Does that 54 K include the 18 from 401K (so can i only do max of 36K) or can you max 401K at 18K and still put in full 54K in your SEP IRA.

That 54k includes the 18K employee salary deferral you put into your 401k.  So the max you could do from your 1099 income would be 36k as a profit sharing contribution.

Comment

The annual addition limit is separate for each unrelated employer. Assuming you have enough compensation, you can make the full $54K employer contribution for 2017.

Note: The employer contribution is 25% of compensation. However, It is calculated as 20% of net self-employment earnings (net business profit - 1/2 SE tax. This is the equivalent of 25% of compensation.

It is only 25% of W-2 wages as in a shareholder-employee in an S-Corp. It would be very unwise and counter-productive in such a situation to create an S-Corp. You would pay more in net FICA than you would in net SE tax.

Comment

Working...
      X