403B vs ROTH as a resident/fellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 403B vs ROTH as a resident/fellow

I'm in a one year fellowship and my university gives a lump sum every November, which can be used for anything. It's recommended to put this 5K in retirement and there's no matching. I plan on putting into retirement. But I'm not sure which one has the most benefit: a tax deferred 403b account vs ROTH account for this year. I understand that I'll be an attending starting next August with a higher income but not sure if I should take advantage of my lower tax rate now and invest in ROTH now versus wait until I become an attending to roll over to my ROTH IRA account. Any advice is appreciated.  I'm a novice with financial matters. Thanks

roth IRA now. New year your tax bracket will be higher and Roth is not as convenient.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

But I’m not sure which one has the most benefit: a tax deferred 403b account vs ROTH account for this year.

If all money made in 2017 is from a stipend, you can not contribute to a Roth. As I recently learned, if you didn't pay SS and medicare taxes on the money it's not considered "earned income" so you're "stuck" with a 403b.

Comment

Does your 403b allow you to designate your contributions as roth? When I was in residency our 403b allowed standard or roth contributions. This was nice as the limit for 403b is higher than roth IRA.

Comment

The guiding principle is to contribute to a Roth account   1) any year that you are subject to a low tax bracket, and 2) you are > 15years from retirement. Contribute to a traditional account  1) any year that you are subject to your highest tax brackets, and 2) less than 15-ish years from retirement.

Comment

Working...
            X