No announcement yet.

Another Backdoor IRA Question

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another Backdoor IRA Question

    Here's the background, I want to start funding a back door IRA but not quite sure what to do with my wife's accounts.


    Me - currently employed

    401K Pre and Post tax

    Pre existing Roth IRA

    Will need to setup a TIRA


    Wife - currently stay at home mom

    Pre-existing Roth IRA ~1k

    Pre-existing Traditional IRA from a 401k rollover a few years ago. ~$7k in this one with about $1k of that in gains.


    1)My understanding is that I can do a back door IRA right now for myself without any tax penalties, correct? (no prorata as the pre-tex IRA isn't mine)

    2) For funding a back door IRA for my wife, what's the best way forward? She's not currently employed so no 401k rollover option. Since it's not that big an account do I just pay the tax from the prorata rule? Or roll it into something else? There's no way to roll it into my 401k, right?


    Appreciate any help




  • #2
    Dr. Nutty,

    1. You are fine to do a backdoor Roth for yourself.

    2. I'd probably (don't know enough about your situation to be sure) recommend that you go ahead and covert your wife's pre-tax TIRA into a Roth, pay the tax, and start her backdoor Roth strategy.

      • No, it can't go into your 401k

      • With her ratio of Roth to pre-tax, it's going to be mostly taxable, anyway. Might as well go ahead and convert ~or~ don't do backdoor Roth's for her at all.

      • The gains in her TIRA are irrelevant.

    My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 for CPA clients (we are Flat Fee for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning)
    Johanna Fox, CPA, CFP is affiliated with Wrenne Financial for financial planning clients


    • #3
      Is she going to work again soon?

      Can she make some 1099 income and open a solo 401k?

      Otherwise just convert it and take the hit.


      • #4
        I think she might go back to work in 2yrs or so. I might just wait on her until she goes back to work and roll it into a new 401k. Which is probably a wash to just converting it now and paying the tax now.

        If I convert it to Roth I pay taxes at whatever bracket I'm in for salary income?


        • #5