Backdoor IRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor IRA

Dear Forum reader:  I have a question about backdoor IRA.  Can I roll money from a former employer's 401k into the traditional IRA at Vanguard after January 1, provided that the traditional IRA has $0 to start with, and then convert these rolled over money in the traditional IRA for a Back door IRA to the ROTH IRA at vanguard?

I know traditionally backdoor IRA is to fund a traditional IRA and then convert them to ROTH IRA.  I want to do ROTH conversion for my regular 401(k), and was wondering if I can do it this way?

Thank you and really appreciate any comments!

You can. You will pay taxes on the conversion however.

Comment

Thank you very much!  Therefore, this is considered a ROTH conversion and not a backdoor ROTH IRA, correct?

Comment

Thank you very much!  Therefore, this is considered a ROTH conversion and not a backdoor ROTH IRA, correct?

Yes, you are talking about a Roth conversion. That does not prohibit you for engaging in a backdoor Roth, also, though.
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Please note that if you have any after-tax money in your former employer's 401(k), you might want to consider doing a Mega Backdoor Roth IRA with that money. Here's a great article on the subject of Mega Backdoor Roth and how to take advantage of after-tax contributions to your 401(k):  https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/the-mega-backdoor-roth-ira/

Comment

This may help. There really is no such thing as a Backdoor Roth in the tax code.

It is simply a non-deductable traditional IRA contribution in conjunction with a Roth conversion. All Roth conversions are pro-rata of post/pre tax balances effective 12/31 of the year of conversion.

What makes it an effective Roth IRA contribution is that there is little to no pre-tax balances on 12/31. This makes the conversion with little to no tax liability.

It is really a matter of degree when you do a Roth conversion of all balances. Technically it is a pro-rata conversion. I you were to do a non-deductable contribution and covert it and significant pre-tax assets in the same year. It can also be considered effectively a tax-free conversion of the non-deductable amount and a fully taxable conversion of the pre-tax assets.

Other than the way it is calculated on the form, it is only truly effectively pro-rata when you do a partial Roth conversion of available IRA assets.

Comment

Working...
            X