Individual 401k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual 401k

I am currently in fellowship and about to sign with a private practice.  They offer a 401k profit sharing plan but after 1 year of employment.  Other than offering a HSA, I am on my own for saving for retirement my 1st year.  I just wanted to see if I was thinking in the right line of opening a backdoor roth IRA for myself and my wife and then filling out some online surveys so that I can open up an individual 401k to fund for the first year? I haven't looked into that process too much but hopefully fairly painless, if that is the route I have to go my first year.  Thanks for the help.

You should pretty much always be doing backdoor Roth, regardless of 401(k).

Your individual 401(k) contributions are related to your individual self-employed income. Unless you already have a large amount of pretax IRA that you need a non-IRA account to roll into so you can do backdoor Roth, getting a couple hundred dollars in self-employment income by doing surveys will mean you can only put in 20% of that as employer contributions...so maybe a few hundred dollars is you take lots of surveys.

How will you receive income from this private practice? As a W-2 employee, I presume? Possibly as an additional shareholder-employee in an S-corp? Can you still make employee contributions and just not receive employer profit-sharing contributions in your first year?

Comment

Thank you for the prompt response!  Thanks for clarifying the individual 401k 20% contribution, I now see that really won't be an option now(I do not have a large IRA).  I will be a W-2 employee until I buy in at the 2 year mark under the hospital so I am hoping I can take your advice and ask about making employee contributions.  Thanks again.

Comment

Hey RUorthodoc,

Yea, I think you would have to become a professional "survey-taker" for the solo 401k to make sense . With a one year window, it may be more of a hassle than anything. I agree with DMFA, see if you can contribute to the 401k this year with the understanding that the profit sharing or match has a one year waiting period.

Taking surveys to open a solo 401k is commonly utilized when you have outstanding IRAs and they need to be moved to a 401k in order to clear the way for backdoor Roth IRAs. Hence, you would just need to earn a few dollars to be able to open the solo 401k and then roll over the miscellaneous IRAs.

In the meantime, the HSA could be a great tool to help with your taxable income for the year.

Comment

Working...
        X