No announcement yet.

solo 401k side S corp, + max 401k W2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concur with @dmfa. The calculations are all wrong. If the CPA gave you this info, s/he d/n understand some of the basics. And, unless you fail to set up the corp by 12/31, there is no reason I can think of that you would want to have a SEP instead of a solo-k.

Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Concur with @dmfa. The calculations are all wrong. If the CPA gave you this info, s/he d/n understand some of the basics. And, unless you fail to set up the corp by 12/31, there is no reason I can think of that you would want to have a SEP instead of a solo-k.

I did the math wrong.  DMFA is correct about the numbers and matches my note I wrote down.

In regards to sep vs solo-k, I think he does not want me to generate a W-2.  Doing so would require me to hire a payroll company.  Thus, he would run the income from my S-corp on to my personal 1040 as a sole proprietor.  Thus, he said SEP is the way to go.

Comment

Your CPA really needs to take some continuing education on small business tax structures and their retirement plans.

An S-Corp pays its shareholder-employee as a W-2 employee. A sole proprietor is a totally different tax structure, using Form 1040 Schedules C and SE. An S-Corp does not run its income thru a sole proprietor.

A sole proprietor can easily have a Solo 401k or a SEP IRA, just like an S-Corp.

Comment

Working...
        X