Consolidating multiple 403b's to a solo 401k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidating multiple 403b's to a solo 401k

I am a hospital employed physician and also have ~ 15-20K of 1099 income for medico-legal consulting work which may become more. I have 403b accounts with 2 prior employers (total ~550K). I would like to open a solo 401k to contribute to from my current 1099 income and also rollover my 2 other 403b accounts to this solo 410K. I think this would simplify things, provider more/better investment options, and preserve my ability to do a backdoor Roth. Other than the hassle of setup, is there any downside that I am failing to realize or reasons not to do this?

Thank you.

• Most 403b plans are not ERISA qualifed just like a one-participant 401k. Most likely a wash on asset protection.
    • The one-participant 401k plan's year end balance > $250K will require annual Form 5500-EZ filing. Not exceptionally difficult, but serious late/failure to file penalties.

Comment

Small clarification to the OP…you have the ability to use the backdoor Roth maneuver regardless of what you do, nothing to preserve. You can:
      • Leave the funds where they are (does not achieve your goal of simplification)
      • Roll 403b’s out to a TIRA (will pay pro-rata taxes on annual conversions from your TIRA to Roth IRA)
      • Roll 403b’s over to your current employer 401k/403b if it accepts rollovers (401k would provide asset protection probably lacking in a 403b)
      • Roll 403b’s into your solo-k per the above discussion
      Welcome to the forum!
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Make sure the company you choose for your solo 401k allows rollovers. Vanguard did not in the past, but changed their policy fairly recently and now allow rollovers into a solo 401k.

Comment

Working...
        X