Solo 401k & TurboTax question, "Maximize contribution to individual 401(k)"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo 401k & TurboTax question, "Maximize contribution to individual 401(k)"

Hi everyone, I can't seem to find an answer to a question regarding Solo 401k and Turbotax.

I have enclosed pictures of the issue. Essentially I don't understand why there is a button to "Maximize Contribution to Individual 401k" in TurboTax. Without clicking on "Max contribution" the Worksheet shows $1,372 and with clicking on "Max contribution" the Worksheet shows $6,862.

For background, I have a W-2 job which is about $300,000 in income, I already did the max elective deferrals with the W-2. My 1099 job had about $7000 net business profit. I used the Financial Buff's Spreadsheet (in the last picture) to figure out the appropriate Solo 401k contributions. I don't have any catch up contributions at my age. I don't have a Roth 401k, but I will be doing voluntary after tax contributions AKA mega back door in to Roth Solo 401k.

In the past, in TurboTax, I have NOT clicked on "Maximum Contribution to Individual 401k" but I'm not certain I'm doing it correctly.

Turbotax will do the calculations for you (depending how you file sole propietor vs. S-corp) the percentages are different, so turbotax does the work for you. looks like you can contribute up to 6862.

Comment

Well the discrepancy is as follows:

I ran the numbers on the finance buff spreadsheet and my profit sharing amount is $1372 and the mega back door amount is $4117.

Now Turbotax is suggesting I can contribute the full amount and take a deduction on my tax burden. This doesn't make sense to me.

What is Turbotax doing?

Comment

I do not have TurboTax to check, but it appears they are not applying the employee deferral limit to one-participant 401k deferrals when you check maximum contribution.

You can not make a one-participant 401k $6862 employee deferral if you have already maximized your employee deferral limit at your W-2 employer. Turbo tax does correctly calculate the maximum employer contribution, but knows nothing about employee after-tax contributions.

To my knowledge, The Finance Buff spreadsheet is the only place to correctly calculate one-participant 401k employee after-tax contributions. The Finance Buff's self-employed one-participant 401k employer and employee after-tax contributions are correct.

If you make self-employed one-participant employer contributions with self-employed earned income
        income < (statutory annual addition limit / 0.8). Your maximum employee after-tax contributions = self-employed earned income - (employer contributions * 2).

This is because the employer contributions both reduce compensation and the remaining available contribution space. Any difference to the TFB results is due to rounding.

$6862 - ($1372 + $1372 = $2744) $4118

You can either contribute:
        • $1372 in employer contributions + $4118 in employee after-tax contributions = $5490 in total contributions, or
        • $6862 solely in employee after-tax contributions.
        Pre-tax self-employed one-participant 401k contributions reduce your qualified business income (QBI). ​​​​​​​The latter is generally a better choice if you are eligible for the QBI deduction.

​​​​​​​Although, one could question the value of a custom one-participant 401k supporting the Mega Backdoor Roth for such small contribution amounts.
        Last edited by spiritrider; 04-06-2022, 04:42 AM. Reason: Oops major symbol typo in the 4th paragraph - it should have been < (less than).

Comment

Thank you so much for your input, it gave me some valuable insight!

Last year was a slow year for 1099 income. The year before I was able to put away much larger amounts, and same with this year.

Unfortunately my incomes are too large to qualify for the QBI. 😔

Comment

FYI - You probably didn't notice, but I corrected the symbol in the 4th paragraph. It should have been < (less than) and not > (greater than).

Comment

Working...
            X