Dumb question on rolling over an old 401a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question on rolling over an old 401a

I apologize for the simplicity of this question - it's the first time I've done this and just want a quick sanity check.

I have a 401a from a old job. I have separated from that employer. For simplicity, I'd like to consolidate retirement accounts. Can I roll this into my Vanguard IRA, then do a Roth conversion (to avoid having anything in my IRA so I can also - hopefully - do backdoor Roth in 2022)? I understand I'd owe tax on this conversion, but it would be at the 24% marginal rate, I anticipate being in the 32 or 35% marginal bracket in the future, and my other pre-tax accounts are ~2x the value of my Roth accounts. Seems like a logical time to do the conversion, but just want to make sure I haven't missed any details...

Can you roll it over into your current retirement plan assuming you have one?

Comment

Don’t forget you’ll pay state tax too

Comment

Originally posted by GasFIRE View Post
        Can you roll it over into your current retirement plan assuming you have one?
        Yes, good point - I have a 401k with current employer that accepts rollovers, although the fees are higher, which would seem to favor either leaving it alone or rolling to an IRA and doing a Roth conversion.

Comment

There is no requirement to first rollover to a traditional IRA. You can rollover the 401a pre-tax directly to a Roth IRA. It will be considered a taxable rollover.

Comment

Working...
          X