Vanguard ETFs for Custodial IRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard ETFs for Custodial IRA

My kids (8 and 10) will be earning a little bit of money this year for odds and ends (outside earnings, not allowance - probably in the range of a few hundred dollars per kid). We are going to set up custodial IRAs for their earnings through Vanguard, but I don't think they will hit the minimum investment for any mutual funds.  Does anyone have recommendations for ETFs that we can get them started on for now?  Thank you!

I don't think Fidelity has limits, and they have some free trade ETFs. I don't know about other platforms/sites though.

Sounds like some Roth potential here!

Comment

Make sure the IRAs are Roth IRAs.

I use an aggressive Vanguard Target Retirement Fund in my kids' Roth IRAs. If I had to pick an ETF at Vanguard, I'd just use Total Stock Market.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

VOO, VBR, VOE, VTV etc all trade for free in a Vanguard account to my knowledge.  Most are in the $100-$200 range, so you should be able to buy a share or two, or mix and match different ETFs.  No commission hit on buying one share at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X