X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• artemis
    replied
    Originally posted by GastroMastro View Post

yes, you are totally on point. I'll just wait and do the rollover to the 401k next year, and if by chance the plan doesn't allow roll overs, then I'll figure something else out. I am not in a hurry, but I do enjoy consolidation
    Consolidation is very nice, but unlike a nongovernemental 457b, there is little risk in leaving your money in your old employers'' 403b accounts. So all is not lost if your new plan won't allow rollovers; you can always leave that money where it is for now should that be the case. Just don't forget those accounts exist! When the time comes that you are working at a place where the 401k/403b does allow rollovers or when you are ready to retire and no longer need to keep the Backdoor Roth option open, you can consolidate everything then.

Leave a comment:

• GastroMastro
    replied
    Originally posted by artemis View Post
    Is there some reason why you are in a hurry to roll both of those old 403b plans into something right now? If not, why now wait and roll them both into your new 401k next year (assuming the plan allows rollovers). Then you can do your 2021 BD Roth now (or wait until 2022 and do both years at once, as Johanna is suggesting).
    yes, you are totally on point. I'll just wait and do the rollover to the 401k next year, and if by chance the plan doesn't allow roll overs, then I'll figure something else out. I am not in a hurry, but I do enjoy consolidation

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    Is there some reason why you are in a hurry to roll both of those old 403b plans into something right now? If not, why now wait and roll them both into your new 401k next year (assuming the plan allows rollovers). Then you can do your 2021 BD Roth now (or wait until 2022 and do both years at once, as Johanna is suggesting).

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    Originally posted by GastroMastro View Post

not eligible for the 401k until 12 months into new job. will do it at that time, alternative would be just to put it in my traditional IRA now right? but then cant do bdrIRA
    When will your 12 mos be up? I'd recommend transacting the BD Roth for both 2021 and 2022 between 1/1/22 and 4/15/22 so you can do both yrs at once. You'll have been there 1 yr sometime in 2022 and all you have to do is r/o orphan 403b to your new 401k before 12/31/22. Just make sure the new 401k accepts rollovers from other plans.

Leave a comment:

• GastroMastro
    replied
    Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
    Are you employed and have a 401k now? Or a gov’t 403b? Or self-employed with a solo-k? You know you can r/o to these, too, if they allow (and prob do).
    not eligible for the 401k until 12 months into new job. will do it at that time, alternative would be just to put it in my traditional IRA now right? but then cant do bdrIRA

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    Are you employed and have a 401k now? Or a gov’t 403b? Or self-employed with a solo-k? You know you can r/o to these, too, if they allow (and prob do).

Leave a comment:

• JBME
    replied
    yes you can't do this if you aren't employed there anymore. Too late unfortunately. If you roll it over to an IRA and you don't have any other pre-tax accounts, you'll hinder your ability to do the backdoor Roth IRA if you're still earning income

Leave a comment:

• GastroMastro
    started a topic 403b prudential to 403b vanguard rollover

403b prudential to 403b vanguard rollover

wanted to rollover my Prudential 403b over to my Vanguard 403b. I am no longer employed by either hospital. I called vanguard and they said they cannot do that since I am no longer employed by the hospital that sponsers my Vanguard 403b. They said the only option was to roll my vanguard 403b into a Vanguard IRA and then take the prudential 403b into the vanguard IRA as well. Can/should I do that? Is there another option? I want to keep it pre-tax, I will not do a roth conversion. thanks!
Working...
X