TSP vs. 401(k) plan/fee structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSP vs. 401(k) plan/fee structure

Ran across this from a while back--may be of interest to anyone with access to the federal Thrift Savings Plan (current/former military and/or VA docs).  The footnotes at the end are pretty interesting as well:

https://www.ici.org/pdf/ppr_tsp.pdf

While I agree with the sentiment of the document and is true for the vast majority of 401k plans, it is no longer true for all plans.

TSP consts have increased recently to all-in expense ratios of 0.042%. There are 401k plans (usually mega-corps) with institutional class index funds with expense ratios <= 0.03%. Also, while the G Fund has characteristics not available for any other bond fund, there are principal protected stable value funds in some 401k plans that have consistently had returns >= the G fund.

Comment

While I agree with the sentiment of the document and is true for the vast majority of 401k plans, it is no longer true for all plans.

TSP consts have increased recently to all-in expense ratios of 0.042%. There are 401k plans (usually mega-corps) with institutional class index funds with expense ratios <= 0.03%. Also, while the G Fund has characteristics not available for any other bond fund, there are principal protected stable value funds in some 401k plans that have consistently had returns >= the G fund.

Thought the expense ratios were 0.038%.  There was a lot of chatter when this went up from <0.03% this past year.

https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/high17b.pdf

Comment

4 basis points! That does it, I'm out of here.

The TSP is great. While I suppose you can argue that it might not be the very best 401(k) in the country, it's got to be in the top 1%.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

No way I'm touching my TSP account.  Wish I could continue contributing, but alas, UC system loves Fidelity.

Comment

Working...
          X