Please critique my retirement expenses work-around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eye3md View Post
    8arclay, I had no idea about SS amount until I signed into my account, and it shows you your earning history and expected SS income.
    Neat, didnt know this existed. Good looking out

Comment

So after reading this thread, I was curious and set up an account at the social security site and got this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	EC8E8712-BEEC-4723-BA0A-ABCBA1003EE4.png
Views:	66
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	252063
      So these numbers are for like in 20 some years. $3800 a month 25 + years from now doesn’t sound like a lot of money????? Wife doesn’t work so will not contribute much to SS. Am I wrong reading this? Are these numbers inflation adjusted?

Is there a calculator that estimates if you go part time? This calculator seems to assume you will continue contributing the same amount till you retire, which isn’t going to be my case.

Comment

The math behind SS is complex. Mike Piper has a book on the subject. So does Larry Koltikoff (?sp). Basically it use your highest earnings over 35 years, inflation adjusts them and calculates your benefit. There is a max each year so earning above a threshold does not help you. It is better to work more years earning moderately as far as SS is concerned. Social security is indexed to inflation.

Comment

Working...
        X