401K conversion to ROTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 401K conversion to ROTH

I'm transitioning into fellowship and getting into a lower tax bracket for 2022 ( but still most likely will be in the 22-24%). I was wondering if it makes sense to do a rollover IRA of my current 401k and then do a roth conversion since I will be on a lower tax bracket, or is it too much of a hassle. I'm currently more inclined just to move it to the new employer.
    I also considered a rollover IRA to have more options, but I guess that that would limit my ability to do backdoor Roth IRA in the future. Any suggestions? Thanks

I think I would wait until 2022 at which time you will have a better idea of both your income and current tax law regarding marginal rates, etc. For now leave in the 401k and do backdoor Roth for 2021.

Comment

1. You can roll over directly to a Roth, fyi
      2. We need the amount you are talking about
      3. Having a pre-tax IRA does not limit your ability to do a BD Roth in the future but I would presume it w/b better to convert all in the lower tax bracket than to wait for the future.
      4. But we still don’t know how much $$ you are considering rolling over.
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
      X