Vanguard Admiral Funds through E-Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard Admiral Funds through E-Trade

Hi all, I've been reading lots of discussions about Custom Solo 401k plans and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger with mysolo401k and having brokerage accounts at E-trade.

My question is this, my current setup is at Vanguard with admiral mutual fund shares. It looks like E-trade just recently added the ability to purchase Vanguard admiral funds without any transaction fee. I did verify my funds are on their list and it says "NTF" under the fund. I want to be able to rollover my existing Vanguard shares in-kind as well.

Can anyone confirm that they were able to purchase Vanguard admiral shares as part of their regular 401k contribution through an E-trade account? I just want to make sure because a lot of older discussions said you can only do ETFs and my understanding is that ETFs are not a good fit for regular contributions. Thank you

Originally posted by txpeach2 View Post
    Hi all, I've been reading lots of discussions about Custom Solo 401k plans and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger with mysolo401k and having brokerage accounts at E-trade.

My question is this, my current setup is at Vanguard with admiral mutual fund shares. It looks like E-trade just recently added the ability to purchase Vanguard admiral funds without any transaction fee. I did verify my funds are on their list and it says "NTF" under the fund. I want to be able to rollover my existing Vanguard shares in-kind as well.

Can anyone confirm that they were able to purchase Vanguard admiral shares as part of their regular 401k contribution through an E-trade account? I just want to make sure because a lot of older discussions said you can only do ETFs and my understanding is that ETFs are not a good fit for regular contributions. Thank you
    So, I have an Etrade personal 401k. I had previously wanted to purchase Vanguard admiral shares, but was unable to do. This was several years ago. Glad I read your post this morning.

I just put in a purchase order for VBIAX which previously wasn't available to purchase at Etrade. Order seemed to go in without a hitch. Got a message saying it would be executed at close of business today. Says there is a $49 fee if you hold it for less than 90 days, but otherwise there appears to be no transaction fee of any kind. I'll post a follow up here if there ends up being any sort of "gotcha" bait-and-switch business from etrade. (Also, I think there was a minimum purchase amount of $3k...can't recall for sure now.)
    Looking further, it looks like VBIAX is also now available for purchase, also without transaction fees, in my regular...non-401k...account.

Comment

yes lots of Vanguard funds are fee free at E*TRADE

why a custom 401k?
      why E*TRADE?
      why not ETFs?
      why transfer in kind? (this will be a challenge)

Comment

Working...
      X