Back Door IRA with Pro-rata complication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Door IRA with Pro-rata complication

Last year I contributed to my Traditional IRA and did a back door conversion.

It so happened that I had also moved quite a bit of money out of my Traditional IRA to my employer 401(k) so that i don't have any basis in the pre tax account for 2016. So by 12/31 i had zero balance in my traditional IRA.

Now my tax software - TaxAct considers that to be under the pro-rata rule and doesn't consider the pre-tax distribution as an exception to the rule.

It's using IRS Pub 590-B worksheet 1-1 to calculate this amount and it seems like this worksheet only cares about if there was a distribution from the traditional IRA and a conversion simultaneously in the same year, doesn't care for any allowable exceptions.

Can you please suggest what i should do with this?

I'm thinking of either re-characterization or return of contribution.

Greatly appreciate your immediate response.

No. It's doing it wrong. You're probably counting the rollover as a distribution, which is explicitly stated to be excluded from it (see form 8606 instructions). That  or you might not have told your software that your contribution was non-deductible; it often fools people since it might pre-check the "no" box or say "this is not common."

I'm not familiar with that particular software, but on Form 8606 lines 6 (12/31/2016 value) and 7 (non-rollover, non-converted distributions) should both be zero, and since you had no prior year basis (meaning non-deducted money in it), then line 10 should be 1.000, meaning all of your conversion would be non-taxable.

A common source of this is overlooking to ensure box 2b, "taxable amount not determined," on the 1099-R is marked as being checked in the tax software (assuming it's checked on your form).

The Finance Buff has a step-by-step guide with pictures.

Comment

DMFA

I'm in agreement with whatever you said above and that's pretty much how I have it other than line 10 which is coming out to be zero for me. Line 6 and line 7 are zero as well. Now the only way line 10 can be a '1' is if line 8 is same as line 5 which is 5500 in my case. This is where the numbers go wrong. The tax software instead uses '*From Pub. 590-B Worksheet 1-1' to calculate line 15 and gives me a huge taxable amount based on the rollover i made to my 401(k).

Its frustrating since i am not able to fix it on the software itself.

Comment

Rollovers are not taxable distributions. https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b/ch01.html#en_US_2016_publink1000230799

I don't know why the worksheet is even relevant in this case. Are you mis-interpreting "basis" to mean all money in the accounts instead of just non-deducted contributions?

Let's go line-by-line on p590b worksheet 1-1.

1. This should be $0, unless you had non-deducted contributions sitting in there for some reason on 12/31/2015.
        2. $5,500
        3. $5,500 (1+2)
        4. $0 (12/31/2016 value)
        5. $5,500
        6. $5,500 (4+5)
        7. 1.000 (3÷6)
        8. $5,500 (5*7, non-taxable portion)
        9. $0 (5-8)
        10. $0 (since 9 is $0, goes on f8606 line 18)
        11. $0 (9-10, goes on f8606 line 15)

...where did that go awry?

Comment

It goes awry on line 5. Instead of 5500 it also adds up the rollover money which I've made sure is coded with 'G' in my entered forms. I think its a software glitch.

Comment

It goes awry on line 5. Instead of 5500 it also adds up the rollover money which I’ve made sure is coded with ‘G’ in my entered forms. I think its a software glitch.

I still have no idea why you even have to *do* Worksheet 1-1 in the first place.  That's for figuring out what is and isn't taxable from your distribution.  You don't need to figure this out because it's not taxable since it's a direct rollover to a qualified plan.  There shouldn't be a taxable part of an untaxable rollover.

Can you just delete Worksheet 1-1?  I still can't figure out why you need it.  Form 8606 should only be $5,500 on lines 1,3,4,8,9,11,13,14,16,17, 1.000 (nontaxable portion) on line 10, and zero everywhere else (including basis, value on 12/31/2016, and taxable amount).

Comment

Working...
            X