Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFA vs Vanguard

Hi all,

I have access to DFA funds in my HSA (Healthequity) and the Utah 529s for my kids. I was hoping to add some mid cap and small cap funds in my portfolio via these. My question is, which fund co. do I go with? ... DFA's expense ratio is much higher than vanguard's for what seems to be very comparable performances over the last 1/3/5 yrs... not that we should be performance chasing

For eg., VEMPX (Vanguard mid-cap blend) has ER 0.06%, whereas DFVEX (DFA midcap value) has ER 0.32%. And, VSMAX (Vanguard small cap blend) has ER 0.09% vs DFA's DFSTX (small blend) is 0.37%.

I am not sure whether the underlying holdings are different enough in the two cos. for me to justify using the DFA funds instead of their Vanguard counterparts.

Thanks in advance!

Bump. No one?

Comment

I decided to go with DFA Small Value in the Utah 529 for the kids. Then I discovered that the Utah 529 doesn't allow you to put more than 25% of the account into any single small value fund. So I put 25% into the DFA Small Value fund and 25% into the Vanguard Small Value fund. So far, the Vanguard fund is winning.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Thank you- that is real-time evidence-based information!

Comment

Working...
        X