Lost IRA with 10years of backdoor Roths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost IRA with 10years of backdoor Roths

Found a lost account of my wife’s by doing some account linking with TDA. 27k of lost money, awesome right? Well I feel a bit ill as I have been doing 10years of backdoor roths for the both of us while this account was resting peacefully. I contacted TDA and they confirm this is a traditional IRA opened in 2008, not a Roth/mistake during scottrade merger. I have already done the backdoor for 2020 and I have already filed 2019 taxes.

Options I am considering.
    1. Convert the thing to a Roth and roll into her Roth IRA account and never look back.
    2. Consult accountant as I use TurboTax to unwind however many years of this I need to.
    3. Put my head in the sand and reforget about this account.

Open to other ideas and thanks in advance for advice

2.)

In my experience, I've found that ignoring known problems (whether it be medical, house related, financial, etc.) only make things worse in the long run.

Comment

Agree. Would clean it up now. May as well while market is down. #2.

Comment

Another vote for #2... not the end of the world if you can only fix the past few years (expect that). Best of luck.

Comment

Uh-oh. The statute of limitations for the IRS to assess taxes is 3 years from the due date including extensions if used. So you’ll have to amend at least the past 3 years returns. Would definitely seek professional help from a tax accountant. Hopefully the experts on this forum will weigh in.

Comment

Originally posted by GasFIRE View Post
            Uh-oh. The statute of limitations for the IRS to assess taxes is 3 years from the due date including extensions if used. So you’ll have to amend at least the past 3 years returns. Would definitely seek professional help from a tax accountant. Hopefully the experts on this forum will weigh in.
            There are multiple situations where the statute of limitations is 'indefinitely' but I don't think the OP's situation applies to any of those but that's another reason to speak with someone with experience in that arena.

Comment

Working...
            X