Please help me get rid of my SEP-IRA immediately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me get rid of my SEP-IRA immediately

I made the mistake of starting a SEP-IRA at Vanguard for my wife, who is a sole proprietor, a few years ago. I want to be able to do backdoor roth and don't want to deal with calculating pro rata, moreover, its just an extra retirement account that I'd prefer to eliminate so I can consolidate her accounts. it's just been sitting with about $7500 in VTI. I want to get rid of it. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I don't mind paying taxes on the full amount this year.

Currently, she has
    1. SEP IRA
    2. Traditional IRA (after tax)
    3. Roth IRA

How exactly do I roll over the SEP to the traditional? will it automatically generate a tax form next year? I am above limit for tax deductible traditional IRA, but the SEP IRA was pre-tax. do I need to fill out for 8606? those things are such a hassle...

Solo 401k.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
      Solo 401k.
      I know s401k is the right answer for long-term planning; but are you saying i should transfer SEP-IRA to solo 401k? if so, that would remain pretax?

i'm more interested in ultimately doing a roth IRA so that i can get red of both the SEP-IRA and the nondeductible IRA.

Comment

options are

1 rollover sep Ira to Roth. This is taxable at your marginal rate

2 rollover sep Ira to solo 401k. Stays pretax but is more complex

assume you’ve been doing form 8606 yearly if making nondeductible Ira contributions

Comment

I opened a Solo 401(k) at Fidelity for this reason. Transferred my SEP to the Fidelity Solo 401(k) and a few months later amended my Solo 401(k) to Vanguard and added a Roth option.

Make sure you read up thoroughly on it before you do it. The Solo 401(k) requires additional paperwork and you must abide by the rules (i.e., I transferred my SEP to Fidelity in May and then amended my plan to Vanguard the following May; I didn't have a Roth option for 2018... I could make employer contributions up to my tax deadline of 10/15/18, but I could not make any Roth contributions as my plan didn't have a Roth option in 2018 or before 05/2019).

As long as you read up and become familiar with what you're doing, it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Is transferring to the traditional IRA not an option option?

would I be rolling over to a Roth directly?

Comment

Originally posted by GastroMastro View Post
              Is transferring to the traditional IRA not an option option?

would I be rolling over to a Roth directly?
              SEPs, SIMPLE IRAs, and traditional IRAs all have pro rata taxation problems that hurt you if you make a back door Roth contribution. If you convert your SEP to a Roth IRA, that conversion is taxable at your marginal tax rate. Try to avoid these problems by rolling the SEP into a 401(k).

Also, Vanguard solo 401(k)s won’t let you roll money in from a SEP or an IRA.
              Last edited by Hank; 01-29-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I made the mistake of starting a SEP-IRA at Vanguard for my wife, who is a sole proprietor, a few years ago. I want to be able to do backdoor roth and don't want to deal with calculating pro rata, moreover, its just an extra retirement account that I'd prefer to eliminate so I can consolidate her accounts. it's just been sitting with about $7500 in VTI. I want to get rid of it. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I don't mind paying taxes on the full amount this year.

Currently, she has
                1. SEP IRA
                2. Traditional IRA (after tax)
                3. Roth IRA

How exactly do I roll over the SEP to the traditional? will it automatically generate a tax form next year? I am above limit for tax deductible traditional IRA, but the SEP IRA was pre-tax. do I need to fill out for 8606? those things are such a hassle...
                basically you are going to open a solo 401k, rollover the the SEP to get rid of it.
                then you are going to convert the nondeductible tIRA to a rIRA and pay tax on any gains. your basis should have been tracked on form 8606.
                then you can do a regular bdrIRA.

hence my initial answer, solo 401k.

Comment

The presence of your wife's SEP has nothing to do with you doing a backdoor Roth. Are you taking about doing a backdoor Roth for her?

Comment

Originally posted by Hank View Post

SEPs, SIMPLE IRAs, and traditional IRAs all have pro rata taxation problems that hurt you if you make a back door Roth contribution. If you convert your SEP to a Roth IRA, that conversion is taxable at your marginal tax rate. Try to avoid these problems by filling the SEP into a 401(k).

Also, Vanguard solo 401(k)s won’t let you roll money in from a SEP or an IRA.
                    Thanks for everyone responses. My goal is to find a solution, any solution, that will allow me to stay within Vanguard. I know plenty of people on this forum are nimble with multiple brokerages, but the whole point of this is to make things easier for me, not more complicated as I already wasted my time making it unnecessarily complicated. I am willing to pay a conversion at my marginal tax rate for converting SEP to ROTH IRA, it is only about 7500 in the SEP-IRA so the taxes won't be too much. If I do this, will that count as her regular roth IRA contribution for this year? If I do this, can I only do 6000 this year (max roth contribution in a year) and have to do the remaining ~1500 next year? (which I would be fine with...)

Comment

You didn't say that.
                      If those are your rules conversion is your only choice.
                      Conversions are not contributions.

Comment

You didn't say that.
                        If those are your rules conversion is your only choice.
                        Conversions are not contributions.
                        Yes I apologize. That was clearly an omission.

so, if I do a vanguard sep to vanguard Roth Conversion, that will trigger a taxable event. That will cause vanguard to generate a form (which form?) that I need to report on my next years tax return. Do I need to do anything with the 8606? I’m guessing no. Is the fact that I have a nondeductible IRA Have anything to do with the fact that I’m converting sep Ira to Roth IRA, ie, don’t have to do any pro rata calculation correct? I am completely bypassing the tIRA?

Comment

Yes I apologize. That was clearly an omission.

so, if I do a vanguard sep to vanguard Roth Conversion, that will trigger a taxable event. That will cause vanguard to generate a form (which form?) that I need to report on my next years tax return. Do I need to do anything with the 8606? I’m guessing no. Is the fact that I have a nondeductible IRA Have anything to do with the fact that I’m converting sep Ira to Roth IRA, ie, don’t have to do any pro rata calculation correct? I am completely bypassing the tIRA?
                          you should have been doing 8606 for the nondeductible tIRA
                          youll be converting the entire tIRA to a rIRA as well so there will be nothing to prorate.

Comment

you should have been doing 8606 for the nondeductible tIRA
                            youll be converting the entire tIRA to a rIRA as well so there will be nothing to prorate.
                            Thanks peds. Actually my plan is to leave the tIRA alone and just convert SEP for now. That’s why I wanted to make sure I can bypass the tIRA. I already did 8606 for the nd tIRA

Comment

sure but you have gains in the tIRA so converting the SEP triggers prorata.

Comment

Working...
                              X