Backdoor Roth for Myself AND My Wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor Roth for Myself AND My Wife?

I have a backdoor Roth IRA I opened in 2014 and have contributed to each year since.  Is it possible to also contribute money in a backdoor roth for my wife?  Vanguard only let's me put 5500/year in it, so I know I can't use that same account.  Does that mean I need to open a second Vanguard account just for my wife?

Yes to all, if you file jointly and the account is in her name/SSN. See IRS guidance on "Spousal IRA."

Comment

Http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf page 9

Comment

I have a backdoor Roth IRA I opened in 2014 and have contributed to each year since.  Is it possible to also contribute money in a backdoor roth for my wife?  Vanguard only let’s me put 5500/year in it, so I know I can’t use that same account.  Does that mean I need to open a second Vanguard account just for my wife?

As DMFA said, all yes's. Before starting one for your wife, make sure she does not have any pre-tax IRAs in her name or you (she) will be subject to the pro-rata rule and the transaction will be taxes. If your wife d/n work, you must have at least $11k of earned income to max out for both of you. (I feel silly saying that to a physician but I never know who else may be reading this thread :-))
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

IRAs are always individual. You actually each fill out an 8606 for your taxes.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

You will file one 8606 form listing each spouse in separate columns.
            Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Click to expand…

What? Where's the separate column?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8606.pdf

Read the first box, let me quote:

Name. If married, file a separate form for each spouse required to file Form 8606. See instructions
              Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

What? Where’s the separate column?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8606.pdf

Read the first box, let me quote:

Name. If married, file a separate form for each spouse required to file Form 8606. See instructions

you are SOOOOOO right :-) The worksheet in our software has 1 column for each spouse and I was thinking about that. Mea culpa!

Comment

Working...
                X